- Flying to Kolkata? Carry COVID negative report if you're arriving from one of these states
The move comes a day after Kolkata reported record one-day spike of 1,271 infections on Tuesday.
- 33 days ago 14 Apr 21, 6:21pm -
- Election rallies deterioting Bengal's COVID situation? Kolkata hospitals stare at bed crisis
In state-run Infectious Diseases and Beliaghata General (ID amp;BG) Hospital, all beds at the high-dependency units and general wards are full.
- 35 days ago 13 Apr 21, 9:52am -
- Bengal polls: BJP leader Mithun Chakraborty denied roadshow in Kolkata's Behala, workers hold protest
BJP leader and Bollywood superstar Mithun Chakraborty, however, led a roadshow in Tollygunj constituency for Union minister Babul Supriyo.
- 40 days ago 8 Apr 21, 5:45pm -
- Bengal polls: EC removes returning officers of eight Kolkata constituencies ahead of final two phases
New officials have already been appointed in the Chowringhee, Entally, Bhowanipur, Beliaghata, Jorasanko, Shyampukur, Kashipur-Belgachia and Kolkata Port assembly segments.
- 41 days ago 7 Apr 21, 12:45pm -
- Kolkata police sub-inspector injured in firing from his service revolver
An investigation is underway and CCTV footage is being scrutinised to find out whether the bullet was misfired or he tried to kill himself.
- 45 days ago 3 Apr 21, 11:13am -
- Fire breaks out at shoe manufacturing unit in Kolkata
While the cause of the blaze is yet to be ascertained, the fire brigade official said that there was no report of casualty or anyone being trapped inside the factory.
- 45 days ago 3 Apr 21, 10:59am -
- Kolkata diary: All that has been happening in the 'City of Joy'
Various officials of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) have been empowered to issue resident proof, income and other certificates in the absence of ward coordinators.
- 51 days ago 28 Mar 21, 8:36am -
- Three Kolkata schools shut as students, teacher found COVID-positive
La Martiniere for Boys and The Frank Anthony Public School shut down their campuses till March 27 and March 29, respectively.
- 55 days ago 24 Mar 21, 5:30pm -
- IAS Khalil Ahmed appointed administrator of Kolkata Municipal Corporation
Ahmed, who is the principal secretary in the Urban Development and Municipal Affairs Department, will remain in the post till the new Board of Councillors of the civic body takes charge.
- 56 days ago 23 Mar 21, 1:04am -
- After dinner with father, Kolkata woman sets him on fire
The woman went out with her father for dinner to a restaurant on Sunday night and got him drunk, then they went to the Chadpal Ghat on Strand Road for a stroll, a senior police officer said.
- 56 days ago 22 Mar 21, 10:50pm -
- West Bengal polls 2021: Left holds mega roadshow with candidates in Kolkata
The Left Front held a mega roadshow in south Kolkata with the candidates of five constituencies for the West Bengal Assembly polls as they headed to file their nominations on Saturday.
- 58 days ago 21 Mar 21, 10:10am -
- IndiGo hands over passenger to security agencies at Kolkata airport for not wearing mask on flight
Earlier this week, AirAsia India offloaded two passengers from its Goa-Mumbai flight and IndiGo handed over two flyers to security officials for not following the COVID-19 rules.
- 58 days ago 20 Mar 21, 9:39pm -
- Illegal coal mining case: CBI summons two former civil services officers
The probe agency has also summoned businessman Amit Agarwal, a close aide of the SCAM kingpin Anup Majhi, alias Lala.
- 59 days ago 19 Mar 21, 6:44pm -
- Man seriously injured by lion at Alipore Zoo in Kolkata
The unidentified man is undergoing treatment at the SSKM Hospital and his condition is quot;critical quot;, hospital sources said.
- 60 days ago 19 Mar 21, 3:26pm -
- Death of two persons in Kolkata not due to water contamination: Minister
The KMC has conducted tests of water samples collected from the Bhawanipore area in ward number 73.
- 61 days ago 18 Mar 21, 11:39am -
- After spending 40 years in jail as undertrial, Nepali man released by high court
Dipak Jaishi, who is now 70, has been languishing in Dum Dum Central Correctional Home since his arrest in Darjeeling district of West Bengal for the alleged murder of a man there in 1981.
- 61 days ago 17 Mar 21, 10:25pm -
- Drug seizure case: Kolkata Police seeks info about arrested BJP leader's guards from CISF
Guards provided by CISF accompanied Rakesh Singh during his travels and they could provide valuable inputs to investigators about the places he used to visit, the official of Kolkata Police said.
- 62 days ago 17 Mar 21, 9:54am -
- One more death due to contaminated drinking water in Kolkata, 15 in hospital
The incident happed in ward number 73, which is also the neighborhood of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- 63 days ago 16 Mar 21, 4:12pm -
- One dead, 10 sick after drinking contaminated water in Kolkata
Chairman of the KMC board of directors Firhad Hakim has sought a report from the departments concerned in this regard.
- 63 days ago 15 Mar 21, 10:36pm -
- Drug case involving BJP leaders: Two more held in Kolkata, 10 arrested so far
Around 10 gm of cocaine was seized from the possession of one person who was picked up from Entally, and another was arrested from the KIT building in the Poddar Court area on Tuesday night.
- 69 days ago 10 Mar 21, 12:10pm -
- Kolkata fire: Amid political slugfest, victims' families numb with grief
Preliminary findings suggested that the blaze was caused by an electrical short-circuit on the 13th floor of the New Koilaghat Building, owned by Eastern Railway (ER).
- 69 days ago 10 Mar 21, 9:25am -
- Kolkata fire: Seven died of burns, two due to suffocation
Meanwhile, the detective department of the Kolkata Police on Tuesday initiated its probe into the case, and a special investigation team has been formed for the purpose.
- 69 days ago 9 Mar 21, 9:37pm -
- West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar calls for tech overhaul of Kolkata's fire services
Dhankar felt that there is a need for modernisation of fire and municipal services in Kolkata, which is a major city in the country and the world.
- 69 days ago 9 Mar 21, 7:55pm -
- Fully cooperated in firefighting operations at Kolkata building: Railways rebuts Mamata
Senior officials, including the Eastern Railway general manager, were present during the firefighting operation at the building on Monday evening, a railway spokesperson said.
- 70 days ago 9 Mar 21, 1:34pm -
- Kolkata building fire: Doctors mull DNA test to identify some bodies
Most of those killed are first responders -- four firefighters, one assistant sub-inspector posted at the Hare Street police station and an RPF personnel, officials said.
- 70 days ago 9 Mar 21, 11:42am -
- Kolkata drugs haul: BJP leader's woman aide held, eight arrested so far
The woman, who is in her mid-20s, used to work for BJP leader Rakesh Singh, a senior officer of the Kolkata Police said.
- 70 days ago 9 Mar 21, 10:45am -
- Kolkata building fire: Nine including four firefighters, cop dead; railways orders probe
The blaze broke out at the New Koilaghat building, which is shared by the Eastern Railway and the South Eastern Railway, Eastern Railway spokesman Kamal Deo Das said.
- 70 days ago 9 Mar 21, 7:53am -
- Kolkata drug seizure case: BJP leader Rakesh Singh's aide arrested
The accused, a 42-year-old resident of New Alipore area in the city, is a close associate of Singh and has played a vital role in the drug smuggling case, a senior officer of Kolkata Police said.
- 72 days ago 7 Mar 21, 4:18pm -
- BJP leaders write to Kolkata police commissioner, allege foul play by cops to enable proxy voting
The BJP also said that it was a #39;highly irregular act and also tantamount to taking away someone #39;s fundamental right to vote #39;.
- 78 days ago 1 Mar 21, 2:33pm -
- Kolkata drug seizure case: BJP leader Rakesh Singh's aide arrested
With the fresh arrest, six persons, including two BJP leaders have been held so far in connection with the case.
- 78 days ago 1 Mar 21, 1:48pm -
- Bengal assembly elections: Poll strategists of BJP camp shift base to Kolkata
The BJP rsquo;s electoral veterans have moved their bases to Kolkata from Maharashtra, Rajasthan and even Madhya Pradesh besides the neighbouring states.
- 79 days ago 28 Feb 21, 8:19am -
- Fire breaks out at warehouse in Kolkata's Bowbazar
Senior Fire Department officials visited the spot amid apprehensions that the fire could spread as the area is congested.
- 80 days ago 27 Feb 21, 2:10pm -
- Asaduddin Owaisi's first rally in Kolkata cancelled as police 'deny' permission
Owaisi was scheduled to kick off his party #39;s campaign ahead of the West Bengal assembly elections with the rally in the minority-dominated Metiabruz area of the city.
- 82 days ago 25 Feb 21, 12:19am -
- BJP, Trinamool clash against each other in Kolkata during programmes on same route
The BJP workers participating in the roadshow were moving towards Sealdah when trouble broke out.
- 82 days ago 24 Feb 21, 11:29pm -
- Bengal polls: Nadda set to launch 'Lokhho Sonar Bangla' manifesto crowdsourcing campaign
The crowdsourcing campaign will have more than 200 meetings with the common people, opinion makers, intellectuals, and other important personalities of Bengal.
- 82 days ago 24 Feb 21, 8:45pm -
- Violence during Left rally: HC directs Kolkata top cop to file report on missing man
A #39;habeas corpus #39; petition was filed by the wife of the man who is allegedly missing since the day of the programme on February 11.
- 83 days ago 23 Feb 21, 10:15pm -
- Kolkata Police summons BJP leader Rakesh Singh in drug seizure case
Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha leader Pamela Goswami has accused Singh of hatching a conspiracy to frame her in the case.
- 84 days ago 23 Feb 21, 1:48am -
- Pamela became drug addict under friend's influence: Arrested BJP leader's father tells Kolkata Police
Goswami, a former fashion model and small-time actress, was remanded in police custody till February 25.
- 86 days ago 20 Feb 21, 10:26pm -
- Three boys injured after being hit by motorcycle in Kolkata
The rider and two other pillion riders, who were allegedly in an inebriated condition, were detained, an officer of Kolkata Police said.
- 90 days ago 17 Feb 21, 5:18pm -
- Fire breaks out in Kolkata residential building
There was no news of anybody injured in the fire, a police officer said.
- 92 days ago 15 Feb 21, 2:58pm -
- Kolkata kidney donor receives letter of praise from PM Modi
She decided to write to the prime minister about the incident a few months back and was happy to receive a reply from him recently.
- 92 days ago 15 Feb 21, 2:56pm -
- Eminent Maithili poet Ramlochan Thakur missing for three days
After failing to trace him, his family lodged a complaint with the police, they said.
- 93 days ago 14 Feb 21, 4:47pm -
- Income Tax Department detects Rs 300-crore black income after raids on Kolkata groups
The I-T Department seized Rs 87 lakh cash and jewellery worth Rs 61 lakh during the searches that were launched on February 5 at 17 locations in Kolkata, Haidwar and Bhubaneswar.
- 96 days ago 11 Feb 21, 12:29am -
- Stringing together a legacy
Kolkata-based sarod player Joydeep Mukherjee is breathing new life into the Senia Shahjehanpur gharana.
- 6 Feb 21, 8:11pm -
- Kolkata Book Fair to be held in July
Earlier, the fair, which is held at the end of January every year, was deferred owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 4 Feb 21, 9:33pm -
- Nine-year-old girl sexually abused, killed in residential building in Kolkata: Police
The girl, who was found lying in a pool of blood on the staircase that led to the terrace of the multi-storey building, was quot;first sexually abused and then killed quot;.
- 4 Feb 21, 6:32pm -
- Spicejet flight carrying West Bengal DGP Virendra makes emergency landing at Kolkata airport
Airport sources said that there were 69 people on the Bagdogra-bound plane SG- 275, including ex-DGP Surajit Kar Purkayastha.
- 1 Feb 21, 11:39pm -
- Sourav Ganguly discharged from hospital after fresh round of angioplasty
The 48-year-old cricket legend was hospitalised on Wednesday for the second time in a month due to his cardiac condition.
- 31 Jan 21, 12:40pm -
- Sourav Ganguly likely to be discharged from hospital if test results return normal
Doctors are scheduled to conduct a few medical examinations on the 48-year-old former India captain to decide whether he is fit to be discharged from the hospital.
- 30 Jan 21, 12:31pm -
- Sourav Ganguly's health condition stable, had good sleep after angioplasty: Hospital
The 48-year-old cricket icon was in the ICU on Thursday night following the angioplasty conducted by a team of doctors including noted cardiologist Dr Devi Shetty and Dr Ashwin Mehta.
- 29 Jan 21, 10:52am -