- newOmicron live: Govt asks states to heighten vigil
Cautioning that a few clusters of Covid-19 infection have been reported from some places in the country, the Centre on Friday asked states and UTs to increase active surveillance and timely testing to detect such clusters and hotspots. Stay with TOI for all updates
- 2 hours ago 4 Dec 21, 9:04am -
- new‘Dominance of PhonePe and GPay wake-up call for banks’
- 1 hour ago 4 Dec 21, 8:37am -
- newBody lies in open, thanas use tapes to find out jurisdiction
- 21 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 7:02am -
- newUphold spirit of right against sex harassment: SC
The Supreme Court on Friday expressed concern over “a rising trend” of courts invalidating proceedings into sexual misconduct at working place on “hyper-technical” grounds saying that it would defeat the law and would turn judicial process into a punishment for the victim.
- 27 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:56am -
- newIndia worked for a year to get China off Lanka projects
It took India almost a year to get China out of three islands off Jaffna peninsula. In January 2021, India was surprised with an announcement that the Ceylon Electricity Board had decided to award a contract for building “hybrid renewable energy systems” in three islands off the coast of Jaffna to a Chinese company, Sino Soar Hybrid Technology.
- 30 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:53am -
- new10 months on, chief secy of Maharashtra takes his first shot
Almost 10 months after Covid vaccination for frontline staff started, Maharashtra’s senior-most bureaucrat, acting chief secretary Debashish Chakrabarty, 59, took his first shot on Thursday at JJ Hospital in Byculla. “He took a Covaxin shot on Thursday,” confirmed a senior doctor at the hospital. Chakrabarty took charge after Sitaram Kunte retired three days back.
- 37 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:46am -
- newOmicron: Doctors' meet in Bengaluru super-spreader event?
An international medical conference at a star hotel in Bengaluru from November 19-21 is under the scanner after at least three doctors who attended it turned out to be Covid-positive, one of them with the Omicron variant.
- 44 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:39am -
- newCyclone Jawad set to impact AP, Odisha from today
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and other central/state agencies were deployed in strength on Friday for relief and rescue operations in the wake of cyclone ‘Jawad’ that is set to move in just off the Andhra–south Odisha coast by Saturday morning with wind speeds up to 90-100 kmph and heavy rain.
- 54 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:29am -
- new'Consider booster dose for 40-plus age group'
The Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium (INSACOG ) has suggested a booster dose of anti-Covid vaccines can be considered for the 40-plus age group, prioritising those at high-risk or high-exposure as low levels of neutralising antibodies from existing vaccines may not be sufficient to neutralise the new variant- Omicron.
- 57 mins ago 4 Dec 21, 6:26am -
- new‘Absolutely fine,’ says Omicron-infected doctor
The stigma of having his home sealed was more painful than the disease itself, says the 46-year-old doctor, one of the two patients in India infected with Omicron. He dispelled fears on the new coronavirus variant, saying the first thing he told himself once the symptoms manifested was to stay calm, get tested immediately, self-isolate and seek treatment. His wife and children too quarantined themselves at home.
- 1 hour ago 4 Dec 21, 6:21am -
- newLankan lynched by mob in Pakistan for alleged blasphemy
A mob in Pakistan lynched a Sri Lankan national on Friday before burning his body for alleged blasphemy in Pakistan’s Sialkot city. Priyantha Kumara, in his 40s, had been working as operational manager at a private factory on Wazirabad Road in Sialkot, in Pakistan’s Punjab province, for the past seven years.
- 1 hour ago 4 Dec 21, 5:57am -
- newBCCI set to clear Indian team's travel to South Africa
Indian cricketers will travel to South Africa later this month despite the threat of new COVID-19 mutant Omicron as the BCCI is convinced that the bio-bubble being created by the CSA will be safe and secure for the players. The tour comprises three Tests, three ODIs and four T20 Internationals and is scheduled to start on December 17 at Johannesburg.
- 3 hours ago 4 Dec 21, 4:44am -
- newAmid reports of trouble in her office, Kamala faces early staff exits
Kamala Harris' chief spokeswoman Symone Sanders' May 2020 book is titled "No, You Shut up." In Washington DC political salons, word is that that clapback illustrates the dysfunction in the vice-president's office. Sanders on Thursday became the second person in Harris' team to announce her departure from the vice-president's office even before she completes a year in office.
- 3 hours ago 4 Dec 21, 4:18am -
- newJr Hockey WC: Germany dash defending champions India's hopes
Defending champions India's dream of a second consecutive FIH Junior Men's Hockey World Cup title was shattered on Friday as six-time winners Germany defeated the hosts 2-4. Germany will meet Argentina in the summit clash of the premier tournament. India will play France in the third-fourth place classification match on Sunday, before the final.
- 4 hours ago 4 Dec 21, 3:13am -
- newTOI POLL: Kohli's controversial dismissal and umpiring standards
Virat Kohli's dismissal on zero in the Mumbai Test match on Friday has been hotly debated and contested. Several senior former cricketers have said he was not out and some commentators have said the third umpire was right in judging replays to be inconclusive.
- 5 hours ago 4 Dec 21, 2:04am -