- newLive: Schools, colleges in Thanjavur closed today
- 31 mins ago 4 Feb 23, 7:35am -
- newAnti-vice squad busts sex trade in Chennai
The anti-vice squad of the city police on Thursday nabbed a car driver at a star hotel who was a pimp and busted the sex trade he had been running. A court later sent the arrested man, Karthikeyan alias Jacob, to jail. Based on the confession of a few of Karthikeyan's associates who were picked up last week, the police team laid a trap and caught Karthikeyan when he visited his house to meet his wife.
- 3 hours ago 4 Feb 23, 5:27am -
- newFood vendors take over Chennai pavements
Almost every popular stretch of the city is now home to dozens of food sellers, with the number of tiffin shops registering an unparalleled rise. Some of these shops have built concrete structures on sidewalks to make their facility permanent.
- 3 hours ago 4 Feb 23, 5:25am -
- newTN rly projects allocated Rs 6k crore in budget
Railway projects in Tamil Nadu including track renewals, doubling and station development have been allocated 6,080 crore in the budget for the coming financial year and that the state government should rise above politics and support development to meet the aspirations of the people, Union minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has said.
- 3 hours ago 4 Feb 23, 5:16am -
- newCustoms seize 1.4 kg gold at Chennai airport
Customs officials at Chennai airport seized 1.4 kg gold from a passenger who arrived from Dubai on Friday. He had hidden the gold worth ₹75 lakh in his undergarments and was intercepted based on intelligence, said customs officials.
- 3 hours ago 4 Feb 23, 5:11am -
- newSC asks AIADMK to pick nominee for Erode East bypoll
Paving the way for an Edappadi K Palaniswami faction-backed candidate to be picked as the AIADMK's official candidate for the upcoming Erode East assembly constituency bypoll, the Supreme Court on Friday ordered the AIADMK to hold a general council and stipulated how it should be conducted.
- 3 hours ago 4 Feb 23, 5:02am -
- new1.4 kg of gold seized at Chennai airport
Customs officers at Chennai airport seized 1.4 kg gold from a passenger who arrived from Dubai on Friday.
- 12 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 7:56pm -
- newTwo held for sexually assaulting minor girl in TN
The two were booked under sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
- 14 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 5:53pm -
- newBypoll: Dhinakaran for fielding common opposition candidate
Talking to reporters in Chennai, Dhinakaran said he did not know if there was an opportunity to field a common candidate but his party would welcome such a move.
- 16 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 4:00pm -
- newErode East byelection: Annamalai meets EPS, OPS post Delhi visit
- 20 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 12:18pm -
- newJewar airport ready for takeoff in early 2024
Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath has said that the Noida International Airport would be operational by early next year, while the 594-km Ganga Expressway connecting Meerut and Prayagraj will be opened for commuters before the Maha Kumbh in 2025.
- 22 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 10:08am -
- newGang cheats job aspirants, on the run in Coimbatore
The district crime branch (DCB) of the Coimbatore rural police has formed two special teams to nab a four-member gang, which cheated several job seekers to the tune of 10 crore.
- 23 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 8:41am -
- newSeven car blast case accused brought back to Coimbatore
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which took custody of the seven accused in the car blast case for eight days from Wednesday, brought them to Coimbatore from Chennai on Thursday morning.
- 23 hours ago 3 Feb 23, 8:41am -
- Spectator gored to death in Tamil Nadu jallikattu
A spectator was gored to death by a bull during a jallikattu event at Pothamettupatti near Manapparai in Trichy district on Thursday. P Murugan, 54, of Poosaripatti, was waiting on a street near the jallikattu venue when a bull ran from the venue and hit him on the abdomen. He was later declared dead at a Trichy hospital. Twenty-four people, including 12 bull tamers, seven spectators, five bull owners and three bulls sustained minor injuries in the event. A total of 273 tamers and 679 bulls part…
- 1 day ago 3 Feb 23, 5:28am -
- Rain affects paddy harvest in delta dists in TN
The depression over Bay of Bengal brought moderate to heavy rain in delta districts including Trichy and the southern districts since early morning on Thursday. Pamban and Tuticorin ports replaced their cyclone warning flags from No 1 to 3. Signal No 3 indicates the port could be affected by adverse weather while signal no 1 indicates adverse weather in distant seas. Districts collectors declared a holiday for schools in Nagapattinam, Mayiladuthurai and Tiruvarur.
- 1 day ago 3 Feb 23, 5:24am -
- 7 schoolboys held for killing worker in Chennai
Seven Chennai school students, all under the age of 16, have been detained for murder after a man they beat up died in hospital on Thursday.
- 1 day ago 3 Feb 23, 5:09am -
- 'AIADMK under dual leadership 'on record'
The Election Commission of India has not taken 'on record' the AIADMK bylaws that were amended on July 11 last year, "as the same was under challenge, including the manner and the process in which the amendments were passed, in a number of litigations and counter litigations," the commission told the Supreme Court on Thursday.
- 1 day ago 3 Feb 23, 5:05am -
- 'DMK stuffs electoral rolls with bogus voters'
- 1 day ago 2 Feb 23, 8:15pm -
- Fishermen save marine mammals; rewarded
- 2 days ago 2 Feb 23, 7:05pm -
- HC lawyers oppose elevation of Gowri
Citing several hate speeches made by her in social media against minority religions, particularly Christianity, they alleged that “no litigant from the minority religions can get justice in her court” if she is elevated as a judge.
- 2 days ago 2 Feb 23, 6:21pm -