- Bengal first state to pass resolution against ED, CBI and other central agencies in Assembly
TMC MLAs Nirmal Ghosh and Tapas Roy tabled the resolution that read 'Central agencies are selectively targeting West Bengal ruling party leaders and creating an atmosphere of fear'.
- 12 days ago 19 Sep 22, 6:18pm -
- Covid situation, blue-collar job losses affect glory of Kolkata Vishwakarma Puja
Viswakarma Puja is related to people who are associated with blue-collar jobs, while organisers of Ganesha Puja have a business class background and have patrons.
- 15 days ago 17 Sep 22, 1:08pm -
- NCW seeks action against male officers of Kolkata Police who 'assaulted' woman BJP leader
Meena Devi Purohit was brutally assaulted by male police officers during the mega "Nabanna Cholo" (march to the state secretariat) rally taken out by the saffron party.
- 18 days ago 14 Sep 22, 12:34pm -
- Crowds cheered, forgetting memories of colonial past: Queen's rendezvous with Calcutta
Prof Aloke Kumar of IIM Calcutta, remembered the visit of the young Queen of Great Britain to Kolkata, then Calcutta, on a winter morning 61 years ago.
- 21 days ago 11 Sep 22, 11:52am -
- Centre's thermocol ban just ahead of Durga Puja puts idol artists in a fix
The Government of India from July 1 banned the manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale and use of identified single-use plastic items such as plates, cups, and straws, besides polystyrene.
- 22 days ago 10 Sep 22, 4:21pm -
- ED seizes over Rs 17 crore cash after raids in Kolkata against promoters of fraud gaming app
A picture released by the federal agency showed bundles of seized Rs 500 currency notes along with a few in the denomination of Rs 2,000 and Rs 200 stacked together on a bed.
- 22 days ago 10 Sep 22, 4:17pm -
- Main accused in murder of two Kolkata teens held
Satyendra Choudhury, the alleged mastermind in the twin murder case, was apprehended by a special team from Howrah railway station, a senior officer of the Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate said.
- 23 days ago 9 Sep 22, 12:36pm -
- Kolkata safest city in India, says NCRB report; experts allege suppression of facts
The city scored 103.4 per 1-lakh people in terms of the number of cognisable offences, marching ahead of Pune, which stood second (256.8) and third-ranked Hyderabad (259.9).
- 32 days ago 30 Aug 22, 11:36pm -
- Kolkata to get virtual Partition museum
The virtual Partition museum, a collaboration between KPMP and Architecture Urbanism Research (AUR), is supported by Tata Steel, and will be a free repository for everyone.
- 41 days ago 21 Aug 22, 8:59pm -
- Did not force teacher to resign, says St Xavier's V-C amid row over her Instagram photos
In a statement, Father Felix Raj said that the university 'believes in preserving and maintaining the dignity and honour of its teachers, staff members, students and others connected with it'.
- 42 days ago 20 Aug 22, 8:18pm -
- India's first underwater metro in Kolkata likely to be completed by June 2023
The metro line, which will connect Salt Lake to Howrah via Kolkata with a stretch below the Hooghly river, is currently operational between Sector V and Sealdah stations.
- 54 days ago 8 Aug 22, 9:02pm -
- Two killed in gas leak at factory near Kolkata
The incident happened during maintenance work at the plant of Electrosteel Castings Ltd (ECL) at B T Road in North 24 Parganas district.
- 59 days ago 4 Aug 22, 11:29am -
- 10 pilgrims die as van gets electrocuted in West Bengal's Cooch Behar
As many as 10 people died and 16 others were injured in West Bengal, after a pick-up van in which the victims were travelling got electrocuted late on Sunday night.
- 62 days ago 1 Aug 22, 1:10pm -
- Partha Chatterjee: The 'greedy, work-shy penny-pinching hoarder' in the eye of the SSC scam
The stories of Chatterjee's miserliness are legion in the TMC, which also explains why he allegedly hoarded Rs 52 crore in cash, thousands of dollars worth lakhs and jewellery valued at Rs 4 crore.
- 63 days ago 30 Jul 22, 8:48pm -
- 'Power grows out of the barrel of a gun': The contested legacy of CPI(ML) founder Charu Majumder
Charu Majumder's CPI(ML) carried out an armed struggle against the Union which included a policy of 'annihilation of class enemies' hoping to bring about radical change.
- 65 days ago 28 Jul 22, 6:09pm -
- CISF personnel shoots himself dead at Kolkata Airport
The body of Pankaj Kumar, a sub-inspector, was found lying in a pool of blood around 7.45 pm on Friday at the basement toilet meant for airport staff, police said.
- 71 days ago 23 Jul 22, 10:23am -
- Kolkata: Presidency University students seek removal of professor for misconduct against woman
It also demanded that the professor should not be allowed to be a part of any internal assessment process of exams conducted by the university in future.
- 74 days ago 20 Jul 22, 1:26pm -
- Mamata's security beefed up; cops posted at secretariat can't use mobile phones
The decision might also be implemented at other governmental offices. "It is a part of tightening the security arrangements at Nabanna," the top bureaucrat said.
- 88 days ago 5 Jul 22, 9:42pm -
- Suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma again skips Kolkata Police summons
Sharma, in an email to Amherst Street Police Station, cited apprehensions of possible assault on her if she visits Kolkata and sought four weeks' time to appear before the police officers.
- 98 days ago 25 Jun 22, 8:02pm -
- Ex-Kolkata mayor Sovan Chatterjee meets Mamata Banerjee, speculates return to Trinamool Congress
Chatterjee, who was accompanied by friend Baisakhi Bandopadhyay to 'Nabanna', avoided a direct reply to questions over his next move and told reporters that he would follow directions of 'Mamata di'.
- 22 Jun 22, 9:14pm -
- Veteran Bengali film director Tarun Majumdar hospitalised, shifted to critical care unit
Majumdar, who received Padma Shri in 1990, has five Filmfare awards to his credit and among his notable works are Smriti Tuku Thak (1960) and Palatak (1963).
- 21 Jun 22, 11:40pm -
- Obscene messages being circulated after move on offline exams: Calcutta University vice-chancellor
The authorities of the college concerned said the student has been 'identified' and the strictest action will be taken against him on completion of an internal inquiry.
- 9 Jun 22, 4:55pm -
- Sex workers from Sonagachi call Supreme Court verdict 'step towards life of dignity'
Coloured powder was smeared on faces and sweets distributed, with sex workers terming the court order as a step ahead towards a life of dignity.
- 27 May 22, 7:33pm -
- Protest at Calcutta University demanding online exams
Two high-power committees formed by CU have recommended the undergraduate and post-graduate end-semester examinations be held in the offline mode.
- 27 May 22, 6:32pm -
- Police use water cannons, baton-charge to quell protesting ABVP activists in Kolkata
An officer of the Bidhannaagar Police Commissionerate said around 100 ABVP members turned violent when they were stopped near Bikash Bhavan.
- 18 May 22, 6:23pm -
- Regret damage caused to homes, repair work will be undertaken: Kolkata Metro official
Residents of the affected houses, which are likely to be demolished, said they were at a loss trying to figure out where to store their belongings.
- 15 May 22, 6:09pm -
- ED raids Kolkata-based construction firm, promoters in money laundering case
The searches were conducted at the premises of Abhijata Constructions Company Pvt Ltd and its directors Abhijit Sen and Sujata Sen.
- 13 May 22, 12:10pm -
- Kolkata Police scanning area, checking phone records in Chowrasia case for clues
The official said sleuths are planning to scan Chaurasia's mobile phone to find out persons with whom he had spoken to on Thursday.
- 7 May 22, 8:28pm -
- Kolkata: Body of BJP youth leader found hanging amid Amit Shah visit, party alleges murder
The BJP alleged the deceased party leader was murdered and hanged.
- 6 May 22, 11:42am -
- Amit Shah to be on a three-day Bengal tour from May 4 to May 6
There is also a possibility of the Home Minister meeting with the representatives of different political and non-political organisations based out of Darjeeling on May 5.
- 30 Apr 22, 6:14pm -
- Two injured in gunfight in Kolkata
Two persons were injured in a gunfight on Tuesday due to rivalry over a construction work in Kolkata's Bansdroni area, police said.
- 19 Apr 22, 4:16pm -
- Clashes near TMC MP Sougata Roy's residence in Kolkata leave eight injured; six arrested
Clashes broke out on Monday between two groups of people in the southern part of the city, leaving at least eight injured, a police officer said.
- 18 Apr 22, 6:36pm -
- 14-year-old's rape: Day after Mamata's 'Was there a love affair?' comment, PIL seeks CBI probe
The family of the girl cremated her body and lodged a police complaint five days after the incident. In the complaint, they alleged the girl was dropped at their house by two women on April 7.
- 12 Apr 22, 8:55pm -
- Three Kolkata schools, shut amid protests over fees, to resume classes Monday
Three well-known English medium schools in Kolkata announced that classes would resume on April 11 after their campuses were closed last week amid protests over fees.
- 9 Apr 22, 11:55pm -
- Essential commodities sizzle in Kolkata markets as fuel prices skyrocket
Prices of vegetables, foodgrains and cooking oil have been on the upward curve since the last one week in most Kolkata markets, traders said.
- 5 Apr 22, 7:47pm -
- Kolkata-bound IndiGo flight develops snag while taking off, grounded
A Kolkata-bound flight was grounded at the Ranchi airport on Saturday after it developed a technical snag while taking off, officials said.
- 2 Apr 22, 2:54pm -
- Jadavpur University teachers to abstain from exam process if conducted online
Some engineering students had gheraoed Vice Chancellor Suranjan Das on the campus for 10 hours on Monday to press for their demand.
- 30 Mar 22, 11:47am -
- Flames engulf Kolkata tannery; two fire officials injured
Locals alleged that fire tenders were late in reaching the area and led to the spread of the blaze in the structure.
- 12 Mar 22, 8:34pm -
- Mentally challenged man found living with dead mother in Kolkata
Police said that initial investigation has revealed that Aruna Dey, who was in her mid sixties, was living in the locality with her son Kaushik Dey for several years.
- 7 Mar 22, 11:39pm -
- Mid-air smoke forces IndiGo flight to make emergency landing in Kolkata
The pilot had to issue a 'May Day' call, made to seek help in times of distress, and the the Pratt & Whitney-powered Airbus A320 Neo plane landed at the Kolkata airport under full emergency conditions
- 11 Dec 18, 3:51pm -
- Kolkata mall faces social media fury for barring woman from breastfeeding
The mother, Abhilasha Arup Das Adhikari, took to Facebook to express her experience, stating she was asked "not to do home chores" in the shopping centre.
- 29 Nov 18, 7:43pm -
- Over 49,000 fire cases in Mumbai in a decade, 609 killed: Government
Minister of State for Urban Development Ranjit Patil said in the state Assembly that a total of 49,391 fire mishaps were reported in the megapolis between 2008 and 2018.
- 26 Nov 18, 2:57pm -
- Man deboarded, arrested after 'joking' about terrorist on plane in Kolkata
A co-passenger saw the 22-year-old texting about a terrorist being on the plane which was headed to Mumbai
- 26 Nov 18, 1:39pm -
- Jet Airways passenger talks about bombs over phone, detained at Kolkata airport
Yogvedanta Poddar, in his 20s, was forced to get off the Kolkata-Mumbai flight, which was preparing for take-off, he said.
- 26 Nov 18, 1:06pm -
- Firing at West Bengal state secretariat; none hurt
Police have registered a suo motu case against the constable. Police have launched an investigation and are checking the CCTV footage.
- 24 Nov 18, 11:50pm -
- Centre-West Bengal clash over 'imposed' East-West Corridor metro rakes
The state government came to know about the Centre's proposal at a recent meeting held in Delhi and have decided to write to the railway ministry opposing the proposal, sources revealed.
- 24 Nov 18, 12:24am -
- Train runs over bridge for two km without engine in Bengal
The train was running at over 60 kmph during the detachment and seeing a lone speeding engine caused panic among local residents and they alerted the train driver.
- 24 Nov 18, 12:19am -
- Majherhat bridge collapse sends road traffic haywire in Kolkata, train services hit too
Thousands of people travelling in the peak evening hours were inconvenienced owing to the incident.
- 4 Sep 18, 7:50pm -
- One dead in Kolkata's Majherhat bridge collapse; 31 admitted to hospital
Some vehicles, including a minibus, which was plying on the bridge at the time of the collapse, fell down on the rail tracks under the flyover.
- 4 Sep 18, 5:46pm -
- Sex racket of 'Gurmeet Ram Rahim's' follower busted in Kolkata
In a first in West Bengal, sex racket of an alleged follower of rape convict Saccha Dera Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was busted in Burra Bazaar area of Kolkata on Friday.
- 5 Jan 18, 7:14pm -
- Educational certificate scam unearthed in Kolkata, five arrested
The accused had promised to arrange a degree for a complainant through distance education in exchange of Rs 25,000.
- 15 Jul 17, 4:32pm -
- Kolkata woman burnt alive for not bringing dowry
A woman was burnt to death at her marital house in central Kolkata for not bringing sufficient dowry.
- 16 Oct 16, 5:44am -
- Dawood's gun smugglers held in Kolkata
- 9 Oct 16, 7:21pm -
- Sex workers in Kolkata stop holding Durga Puja
Claiming harassment by the police, the sex workers have decided to discontinue their own Durga Puja in city's Sonagachi area from this year.
- 7 Oct 16, 6:44pm -
- Uber's provisional licence for Kolkata extended till December 14
The state Transport department had not renewed the licence for alleged non-compliance of the criteria fixed for renewal of the same for app-based taxis.
- 4 Oct 16, 6:48pm -
- Naval interceptor boat catches fire in Kolkata
- 4 Oct 16, 9:48am -
- 'Airavat' vehicles to tackle elephants in Junglemahals; locals sceptical
Airavat is the name of the mythical war elephant and the pet of Lord Indra. The Karnataka government has also used this name for their inter-state cruise bus service.
- 3 Oct 16, 2:56pm -
- Unable to bear pain, Kolkata Jain cancer patient fasting till death
Rajasthan High Court had banned Santhara or Sallekhana, a Jain ritual of fast-till-death in August last year.
- 29 Sep 16, 3:44pm -
- Trinamool takes over Murshidabad municipality
- 28 Sep 16, 9:20pm -
- Mamata foils Gorkha bandh; detains 250
Mamata Banerjee administration on Wednesday for the first time showed it\'s strength on a massive scale in the Darjeeling Hills by detaining more than 250 agitating GJM members.
- 28 Sep 16, 9:18pm -