- newCBI arrests 4 people in connection with killing of 2 Manipur youths
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested four people and detained two juveniles, following an investigation into the alleged abduction and killing of two students---- Phijam Hemanjit (20) and Hijam Linthoingambi (17) who were last seen together on a motorbike on July 6. The accused persons arrested by CBI are - Paominlun Haokip, S Malsawn Haokip, Lhingneichong Baite and Tinnuphing.
- 2 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 10:41pm -
- newAFSPA to remain in force in 4 Assam districts
The controversial Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (Afspa), which was enforced in eight districts of Assam, has been lifted from four districts and extended in the other four — Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, Sivasagar and Charaideo — for another six more months from October 1.
- 2 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 10:30pm -
- newUS shutdown: Biden urges Republicans to stop 'games'
President Joe Biden reassured that the United States would continue to support Ukraine, even though aid was excluded from an agreement to prevent a government shutdown. He called on Republicans to cease their political maneuvers regarding funding.
- 3 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 10:12pm -
- newJitan Ram Manjhi announces his retirement from electoral politics
Former Bihar chief minister and Hindustani Awam Morcha (Secular) founder Jitan Ram Manjhi on Sunday announced his retirement from electoral politics, saying he is too old to contest elections now.
- 3 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 9:50pm -
- newTwin gold!: Sable, Toor headline India's track and field show
Avinash Sable became the first Indian man to win 3000m steeplechase gold while shot-putter Tajinderpal Singh Toor successfully defended his title as India grabbed 15 medals across sports on Day 8 of Asian Games. This is now India's biggest biggest haul in a sinle day of the Asian Games over all editions.
- 3 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 9:35pm -
- newIs Vivek Ramaswamy hiring a nanny with starting salary of $100,000?
Former US President Donald Trump is leading the race among Republican candidates for the 2024 White House contest. However, Indian-American entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy has emerged as the second most favorite candidate, according to a poll. Ramaswamy's support has been increasing since his performance in the first Republican presidential debate.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 9:16pm -
- newTMC to protest against govt over MNREGA dues in Delhi
West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress party will hit the streets of central Delhi on Monday and Tuesday.Banerjee had planned to lead the TMC brigade from the state, to protest against non payment of dues by the Centre, for the MNREGA and PM Awas Yojana schemes and turn the demand for the pending payment into a mass mobilisation exercise.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 9:09pm -
- newHappy Gandhi Jayanti: Wishes, messages and quotes
On this Gandhi Jayanti, let's remember the Father of the Nation and his message of peace, truth, and non-violence. Happy Gandhi Jayanti!
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 9:00pm -
- newFestive onslaught: Car, SUV dispatches hit record in September
Car and SUV sales in India reached a record high in September, driven by strong festive demand and increased stocking by companies for the Navratras and Diwali. Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Mahindra & Mahindra, and Toyota all experienced increased sales. The industry is expected to surpass 4 million units for the year, exceeding last year's total of 3.8 million units.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 8:42pm -
- newWomen in these states live longest, as per govt data
A recent report by UNFPA reveals that the life expectancy of women in several Indian states is higher than that of men. The report also highlights the demographic and socio-economic status of the elderly population in India. It states that the life expectancy of women at 60 years is more than 20 years in states like Rajasthan, Haryana, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu & Kashmir.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 8:33pm -
- newWatch: What is the 14 minute miracle launched by Railways?
Vande Bharat Express 14 minute miracle: Watch the video in this article to see how Indian Railways, inspired from Japan's 7 minute miracle for bullet trains, has launched the 14 minute miracle cleaning for Vande Bharat Express trains.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 8:26pm -
- newFossil of ancient giant Trapdoor spider unveils lost rainforest of Australia
Scientists have discovered the fossil of a large spider, named Megamonodontium mccluskyi, in Australia. This is one of the few spider fossils found in the country and the world's first fossil of a spider from the Barychelidae family. The fossil provides insights into the extinction of spider species and fills gaps in understanding Australia's past. The spider is believed to have gone extinct as the continent became more arid.
- 4 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 8:25pm -
- newUnhappy Anju explains Jyothi Yarraji controversy
In a thrilling twist at the Asian Games in Hangzhou, Jyothi Yarraji's initially awarded bronze medal in the women's 100m hurdles event underwent a rapid upgrade to silver. This remarkable change transpired after the Athletics Federation of India promptly filed an official protest, contesting the false start called against Jyothi.
- 5 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 8:03pm -
- new2 doctors save baby with breathing issues on Delhi-bound flight
A baby with congenital heart disease developed severe breathing issues during a Ranchi-Delhi flight when two co-passengers, both doctors, came to the child's rescue. IAS officer Dr Nitin Kulkarni, also a doctor by training, and a doctor from Ranchi Sadar Hospital gave oxygen supply using a mask meant for adults and other drugs as emergency medical assistance. After the flight landed after an hour, a medical team took the baby under their care and provided oxygen support.
- 5 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 7:46pm -
- newHow a flyer's 'bomb' remark delayed Akasa's flight
A passenger's comment about having a bomb caused a security scare and delayed an Akasa flight from Varanasi to Mumbai. The comment was made in frustration due to strict pre-boarding checks. Passengers were asked to deplane and undergo thorough checks before the flight was cleared to take off. This incident follows a hoax bomb threat received by Akasa's Mumbai-Varanasi flight two days prior. Authorities emphasize the importance of not making casual comments that can cause security concerns.
- 5 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 7:30pm -
- newCBI arrests 4 people in connection with killing of 2 Manipur youths
Four people were arrested in connection with the “kidnapping and killing” of two Manipuri youths, chief minister N Biren Singh said on Sunday. "I’m pleased to share that some of the main culprits responsible for the abduction and murder of Phijam Hemanjit and Hijam Linthoingambi have been arrested from Churachandpur today," Manipur CM Biren Singh said on X, formerly Twitter.
- 6 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 7:08pm -
- newBastar bandh against steel plant's privatisation on PM's visit
Opposing privatisation of the Nagarnar steel plant, the ruling Congress party in Chhattisgarh has announced a Bastar shutdown on October 3, coinciding with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's scheduled visit to the tribal heartland for the inauguration of the public sector NMDC's integrated steel plant in Nagarnar, with an annual capacity of three million tons and an estimated cost of Rs 25,000 crore.
- 6 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 6:43pm -
- newWatch: Suicide bomber detonates a device in Turkey
A bomb blast outside the interior ministry buildings in Ankara resulted in the death of two attackers and injuries to two police officers. The attackers hijacked a vehicle before executing the attack at the entrance gate of the ministry. The Turkish parliament convened despite the attack, with President Erdogan addressing the assembly and stating that terrorists will not succeed in achieving their aims in Turkey.
- 6 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 6:33pm -
- newIndia and US are 'desirable, optimal partners': Jaishankar
India's external affairs minister, S. Jaishankar, expressed optimism about the strong ties between India and the United States, saying that there are no limits to their relationship. He highlighted the changing dynamic between the two countries, emphasizing that they now work with each other rather than just dealing with each other. Jaishankar credited the recognition of India's achievements, such as its space mission and global vaccine supply, for the improved ties.
- 6 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 6:26pm -
- newCanada to automate processing of work permits
- 6 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 6:19pm -
- newWho is Ankit Baiyanpuria, who joined PM for cleanliness drive?
"Today, as the nation focuses on Swachhata, Ankit Baiyanpuriya and I did the same! Beyond just cleanliness, we blended fitness and well-being also into the mix. It is all about that Swachh and Swasth Bharat vibe!(sic)", the PM posted on X.
- 7 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 5:23pm -
- new“Walking up 5 flights of stairs daily can cut down heart disease risk”
A new study led by researchers at Tulane University suggests that taking at least 50 steps and climbing stairs each day can significantly reduce the risk of heart disease. The study, which analyzed data from 450,000 UK adults, found that climbing more than five flights of stairs daily was associated with over a 20% lower risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
- 8 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 5:00pm -
- newUK gurdwara slams extremists after Indian envoy denied entry
The Glasgow Gurdwara Guru Granth Sahib Sikh Sabha condemned the incident where the Indian High Commissioner was prevented from entering, calling it "disorderly behavior." The gurdwara stated that unknown individuals from outside Glasgow tried to disrupt the visit, leading the visiting party to leave. The gurdwara also expressed that they welcome people from all communities and strongly condemn any attempt to disrupt the peaceful proceedings of a Sikh place of worship.
- 8 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 4:48pm -
- newIAF aircraft makes emergency landing in Madhya Pradesh
An aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) with six persons on board made an "emergency" landing at a village in Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal on Sunday due to a technical snag, a police official said.
- 8 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 4:21pm -
- newInformation war: How China came close to taking full control of Pakistan's media
A report by the US Department of State reveals that China is investing heavily in constructing a global information ecosystem to promote preferred narratives and suppress views it considers threatening. China's efforts to disseminate misinformation could reshape the global information landscape, leading to biased decision-making in favor of Beijing.
- 9 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 4:02pm -
- newTelangana govt minting money through schemes for farmers: PM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched various developmental projects and inaugurated completed structures in Telangana, with a combined value of over Rs 13,500 crore.
- 9 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 3:56pm -
- newSharad Pawar to attend ECI hearing on NCP split
Sharad Pawar has announced his plan to travel to Delhi on October 6 to provide his perspective to the ECI regarding the internal division within the party. The NCP split in July after some members joined the Maharashtra govt. Pawar emphasized that those who aligned themselves with the BJP cannot be considered part of the NCP.
- 9 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 3:54pm -
- newPak offloads 16 beggars from Saudi Arabia-bound flight
- 9 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 3:40pm -
- newTime in jail deserves to be seen when granting bail: Bombay HC
The Bombay high court has emphasized the importance of considering the duration of incarceration when deciding on a plea for bail. In a recent case involving an accused of double murder who had been in custody for eight years, the court held that keeping a person in custody for an indefinite period of time violates their fundamental rights.
- 10 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 3:05pm -
- newAt least 13 dead in nightclub fire in Spain's Murcia
A tragic fire in a nightclub in Spain's Murcia has resulted in the deaths of at least 13 people, with rescue teams still searching for missing individuals. The fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday and caused significant damage to the club. The mayor of Murcia expressed his devastation and stated that emergency services are investigating the cause of the fire.
- 10 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:45pm -
- newChhattisgarh: Hamar Raj Party sets sight on assembly polls
Chhattisgarh Sarva Adivasi Samaj — a prominent organization representing tribal communities — has established its political entity, the Hamar Raj Party (HRP), and declared intentions to nominate candidates for 50 out of the 90 assembly seats in the upcoming Chhattisgarh assembly elections scheduled to be held by the end of November.
- 10 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:39pm -
- newAnother EV fire: Electric car burns in Bangalore
A video of an electric car engulfed in flames in Bengaluru has raised safety concerns about electric vehicles (EVs) in India. The make and model of the car are not identifiable, but this incident has sparked debates over EV safety.
- 10 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:30pm -
- newTurkey says 'terrorist attack' took place in Ankara
Two police officers were injured in a terrorist attack near Turkey's parliament in Ankara. The attackers arrived in a commercial vehicle and carried out a bomb attack. One of the terrorists blew himself up, while the other was neutralized. The district, which houses several ministries and the Turkish parliament, was cordoned off, and gunfire was reported.
- 11 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:12pm -
- newKannada actor Nagabhushana gets bail in accident case
The couple were injured in head, neck and back. The couple’s son has also filed a police complaint. The car has been seized and the actor is out on station bail.
- 11 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:06pm -
- newDiscord with Taliban: Afghan embassy in India suspends operations
- 11 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 1:59pm -
- newI'm used to it now...it's been three World Cups: Chahal
Yuzvendra Chahal, the leg-spinner, has commented on his exclusion from India's squad for the 2023 Men's ODI World Cup, stating that he is accustomed to such omissions. This is the third consecutive global cricketing event that he has not been selected for. Chahal expressed his disappointment but emphasized his focus on playing Test cricket for India.
- 13 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 12:15pm -
- newDelhi jewellery theft: Lone wolf who learned from each heist
Lokesh Srivas, a master thief from Chhattisgarh, planned a heist at Umrao Singh Jewellers in Delhi. He meticulously prepared for the theft, bringing along tools such as crowbars and a portable gas cutter, as well as snacks and cashew nuts. Srivas had learned from past experiences, wearing gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints. However, his cover was blown when his associate, Lokesh Rao, tipped off the police about the stolen loot. Srivas had conducted thorough surveillance of the area before exec…
- 20 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 4:45am -
- newWhere cricket was first played in India, 300 years ago
In the colonial era, Tankari Bandar lived its glory days. The sleepy village in south Gujarat was once home to a brisk port where the British had set up a customs house and a permanent police post. A tall lighthouse, which could be spotted from far away, was its signature. Today it is just another village with old memories.
- 22 hours ago 1 Oct 23, 2:45am -