- Crime rate down by 50 per cent in Kolkata amid lockdown: Senior cop
Cases of snatching and pick-pocketing have also reduced in the city amid the nationwide lockdown imposed to contain the spread of the deadly COVID-19, he said.
- 10 days ago 30 Mar 20, 2:52pm -
- Fire breaks out at high-rise in Kolkata, no casualties
The blaze erupted on the 15th floor of the building around 10 am
- 10 days ago 30 Mar 20, 2:45pm -
- To beat price rise amid lockdown, Bengal government starts selling fish online
The West Bengal Fisheries Development Corporation Limited will also be selling fish in the districts from its vehicles.
- 11 days ago 29 Mar 20, 9:36pm -
- Kolkata Municipal Corporation reserves burial grounds, cremation centre for coronavirus victims
KMC officials said the municipal solid waste dumping ground at Dhapa was identified for cremating the COVID-19 fatalities as the area is sparsely populated.
- 13 days ago 27 Mar 20, 6:22pm -
- Elderly man with no history of travel tests positive for COVID-19 in Kolkata
His family members have been placed under home quarantine, he said, adding that police have been posted outside their residence.
- 14 days ago 26 Mar 20, 5:57pm -
- Chinese-origin people in Kolkata face racist slurs amid coronavirus outbreak
Francis Yee Lepcha (41), whose grandfather had migrated from China decades ago, said he had been encountering glares and cold stares since the outbreak of the disease.
- 14 days ago 26 Mar 20, 9:22am -
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee demands Rs 1,500 cr package from Centre to tackle coronavirus outbreak
The chief minister said that while the state has created a Rs 200-crore fund, it is inadequate to procure all necessary equipment such as ventilators.
- 15 days ago 25 Mar 20, 11:29pm -
- COVID-19: 871 held in Kolkata for defying lockdown order
The arrests were made by the Kolkata Police during naka-checking and patrolling across the length and breadth of the city
- 15 days ago 25 Mar 20, 9:35pm -
- Kolkata: Airline crew member claims neighbours harassing her and mother; cops initiate action
The woman said that neighbours turn up at her home when she is not there to harass her mother and local shopkeepers refuse to sell goods to them.
- 16 days ago 24 Mar 20, 8:42pm -
- 255 arrested for violating coronavirus lockdown in Kolkata
During the lockdown, all shops, commercial establishments, offices and factories, workshops, godowns etc will close their operations except essential services.
- 16 days ago 24 Mar 20, 12:58pm -
- Two headmasters transferred for violating coronavirus prevention guidelines in Kolkata
While the school authorities refuted the charge of some guardians not wearing masks, they pleaded helplessness to the media in preventing some students from accompanying their guardians.
- 16 days ago 24 Mar 20, 12:16pm -
- Work of Class 12 board exams put off in Bengal amid coronavirus outbreak
While higher secondary exams were conducted from March 13 to 21, examinations for three papers scheduled on March 23, March 25 and March 27 will now be held after April 15.
- 17 days ago 23 Mar 20, 12:50pm -
- Three test positive in Kolkata, total COVID-19 cases in Bengal rise to seven
The three are parents of a UK-returned youth, the second positive case of the deadly infection in the state, and a maid working at their residence in Ballygunge area.
- 17 days ago 23 Mar 20, 8:49am -
- Coronavirus outbreak: Trinamool asks its MPs to withdraw from Parliament
TMC said that the party has been urging the government to defer Parliament for the past 10 days but no action has been taken so far.
- 18 days ago 22 Mar 20, 1:25pm -
- Coronavirus: Bengal registers fourth case, around 1,000 passengers screened at Howrah Station
The health department officials sent the man rsquo;s wife, son and two other family members to the quarantine centre at Rajarhat and the domestic help of the family was admitted to Beleghata ID Hospital.
- 18 days ago 22 Mar 20, 1:09pm -
- Coronavirus: Bengal shuts down restaurants, pubs, bars till March 31, postpones class 12 exams
The order, which aims to prevent all non-essential social gatherings, comes into effect on Sunday morning.
- 19 days ago 21 Mar 20, 7:15pm -
- Coronavirus outbreak: Mamata to chair all-party meeting on Monday
CPI(M) legislative party leader Sujan Chakraborty said his party would attend the meeting and place a few suggestions to tackle the pandemic.
- 19 days ago 21 Mar 20, 7:14pm -
- Amusement parks remain open in Kolkata despite advisories to avoid public gathering
Amusement parks such as Nicco Park, water theme park Aquatica, Millennium Park on the banks of river Hooghly, Eco Park in Rajarhat are still open.
- 19 days ago 21 Mar 20, 2:49pm -
- Bengal woman, advised quarantine after returning from Spain, goes out to walk her dog; triggers panic
The woman is pursuing higher studies in the European country, according to local sources.
- 20 days ago 20 Mar 20, 8:06pm -
- Bengal reports second coronavirus case as Kolkata man who returned from UK tests positive
The swabs of the patient were collected and the reports received from the National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases confirmed that he had contracted the deadly virus.
- 20 days ago 20 Mar 20, 4:08pm -
- UK returnee tests positive in Kolkata for COVID-19, 2nd case in Bengal
The man returned from the UK on March 13 and was admitted to the Beliaghata ID Hospital in the city on March 19 with symptoms of COVID-19, the state government official said.
- 20 days ago 20 Mar 20, 10:32am -
- Coronavirus scare: Kolkata restaurants stare at losses amid dwindling footfall
There has been a 30 per cent dip in customer count since the last few days, the owners of a popular rooftop lounge in Russel Street area, said.
- 21 days ago 19 Mar 20, 6:34pm -
- Calcutta HC sets aside Centre's 'Leave India' notice to Polish student who participated in anti-CAA protests
Justice Sabyasachi Bhattacharyya directed the central government not to give effect to the notice served on the Poland citizen, who studies at the Jadavpur University.
- 22 days ago 18 Mar 20, 8:13pm -
- COVID-19: Bengal officials to stay at home after coming in contact with officer whose son tested positive
Alapan Bandyopadhyay, a few other officials and some Group D staff at state secretariat #39;Nabanna #39; and at the Home Department office in the Writers #39; Building were asked to stay in isolation at home.
- 22 days ago 18 Mar 20, 4:57pm -
- BJP activist arrested in Kolkata for hosting cow urine consumption event to fight COVID-19
He was arrested late Tuesday night following a complaint filed by a civic volunteer who fall ill after drinking the cow urine.
- 22 days ago 18 Mar 20, 4:32pm -
- Coronavirus: Kolkata Metro sees dip in footfall, two put in isolation
On Monday, passenger footfall stood at 5.32 lakh against an average of 6.2 to 6.5 lakh on any weekday, she said.
- 23 days ago 17 Mar 20, 7:30pm -
- COVID-19: Kolkata High Court to begin thermal screening of visitors from Tuesday
The Bar Association of Calcutta High Court also welcomed the decision of the Registrar General of Calcutta HC to only hear urgent matters in the court in the wake of COVID-19.
- 24 days ago 16 Mar 20, 4:28pm -
- Coronavirus scare: Calcutta HC, subordinate courts to hear only urgent matters from March 17
In a notification, Calcutta HC registrar general Rai Chattopadhyay said no adverse orders will be passed on matters where parties are found absent till the situation persists.
- 25 days ago 15 Mar 20, 6:04pm -
- Sex workers in Bengal in quandary amid growing COVID-19 scare
With just a handful of them out on the streets, Asia #39;s largest red-light area in the city - Sonagachi - wore a deserted look on Sunday afternoon, a time when clients are usually seen making a beeline.
- 25 days ago 15 Mar 20, 5:47pm -
- Coronavirus: Italian couple, Thai national in isolation ward at Kolkata hospital
Two other foreigners -- one from Malaysia and another from Australia -- who were visiting ISKCON in Mayapur have been admitted to a medical facility run by the organisation.
- 27 days ago 13 Mar 20, 11:34am -
- Two fresh coronavirus suspects admitted to Kolkata hospital
Meanwhile, a resident of Murshidabad district, who was admitted to the ID Hospital on Sunday, has been diagnosed with swine flu.
- 30 days ago 11 Mar 20, 12:55am -
- Complaint filed against Roddur Roy for Tagore's parody songs
Roy #39;s name surfaced after young men and women, who took part in #39;Basanta Utsav #39; on RBU campus posed with cuss words written on their bodies.
- 30 days ago 10 Mar 20, 10:41pm -
- Kolkata Police sets up team to investigate RBU 'Basanta Utsav' photos with expletives
At this year #39;s spring festival at the RBU campus, some young men and women posed for photos with swear words written with colours on their bodies.
- 32 days ago 8 Mar 20, 11:03pm -
- Bengal schoolgirls sing lewd parody of Tagore song; video goes viral
As of now, the four have been allowed to appear for class tests, Depashree Roy, the headmistress of the girls #39; school, told reporters.
- 32 days ago 8 Mar 20, 8:12am -
- BJP invites Kolkata Municipal Corporation election aspirants to put CVs in dropbox
The prospective candidate need not be an activist of the party but should be popular in his/her locality and have a good image, a senior BJP leader said on Saturday.
- 33 days ago 7 Mar 20, 5:47pm -
- Presidency students block Kolkata's College Street for 16 hours
The students had started a sit-in protest at the intersection of Bidhan Sarani and Mahatma Gandhi road from Thursday evening, blocking the bustling arterial thoroughfare.
- 34 days ago 6 Mar 20, 1:16pm -
- Amid tussle with Mamata government, Bengal Governor to meet Amit Shah on Friday
According to sources, during the meeting being held at the initiative of the governor, he is likely to discuss law and order and other #39;critical #39; issues with Shah.
- 34 days ago 6 Mar 20, 9:25am -
- Mamata Banerjee creating disturbance to win civic polls, sys BJP's Dilip Ghosh
Ghosh had earlier warned that his party workers will gherao every police station if police atrocities across the state do not stop immediately.
- 37 days ago 3 Mar 20, 2:31pm -
- Congress, CPM students' wings 'purify' Kolkata's Shahid Minar ground where Shah held rally
The groups claimed that the #39;historic ground #39; in Kolkata had been maligned by the provocative #39;goli maro #39; slogan raised by some BJP workers.
- 37 days ago 3 Mar 20, 8:21am -
- Three BJP workers arrested in Kolkata over 'Goli maaro...' slogans during Amit Shah's rally
The three arrested BJP workers have been identified as Surendra Kumar Tiwari, Dhruba Basu and Pankaj Prasad.
- 38 days ago 2 Mar 20, 4:09pm -
- Disturbed over Delhi riots, Bengali actor Subhadra Mukherjee quits BJP
The actor said she did not want to be associated with #39;this brand of politics #39; where people can be judged by their religion and not as fellow humans.
- 39 days ago 2 Mar 20, 4:53am -
- Home Minister Amit Shah arrives in Kolkata amid anti-CAA protests
Shah was greeted by the West Bengal BJP leadership, led by state party president Dilip Ghosh.
- 39 days ago 1 Mar 20, 12:36pm -
- Amit Shah to visit Kolkata Sunday to 'clear confusion' on Citizenship Act
The Home Minister is scheduled to address the rally at the Shaheed Minar Ground, where the state unit of the BJP will felicitate him for the passage of the act in Parliament.
- 39 days ago 1 Mar 20, 8:29am -
- Kolkata Police detain two BJP MPs
Police said the two along with some activists had gone to the area and were taken to Thakurpukur police station on the apprehension of breach of law and order in the locality.
- 40 days ago 1 Mar 20, 12:25am -
- Hairline cracks appear on Kolkata's Bowbazar houses as east-west metro tunnelling work resumes
A few residents of the area in central Kolkata alleged that hairline cracks appeared on their houses after the tunnel boring work resumed earlier this week.
- 41 days ago 28 Feb 20, 11:28pm -
- West Bengal government offers penalty waiver on tax default for vehicles
An official said that the state government expects that the waiver will encourage owners of both private and commercial vehicles to pay the due taxes which amount to around Rs 500 crore.
- 41 days ago 28 Feb 20, 2:48pm -
- Bengal planning to opt out of Centre's 'One Nation, One Ration Card' scheme
The system ensures that no poor is deprived of PDS entitlement even if that person shifts from one place to another.
- 42 days ago 27 Feb 20, 12:30pm -
- BJP threatened to 'skin me alive' for removing pro-CAA flex, alleges documentary filmmaker
BJP alleged that the woman had torn the flex and threatened to attack BJP activists, besides bad-mouthing the prime minister.
- 43 days ago 26 Feb 20, 9:30pm -
- Fake notes of Rs 5 lakh face value seized in Kolkata, 3 held
All the three accused were living in Mumbai and were involved in the racket for quite some time, the officer added.
- 43 days ago 26 Feb 20, 6:17pm -
- Woman, on way to office, molested inside Kolkata bus
The woman was travelling from Gariahat to Jadavpur in the bus, plying on route number 234.
- 43 days ago 26 Feb 20, 4:47pm -