- Kolkata Police DCP tests COVID-19 positive, admitted to hospital
The IPS officer was having some health-related issues and was on leave since last Saturday, sources in Kolkata Police said.
- 13 days ago 18 Sep 20, 3:55pm -
- Mahalaya celebrated amid COVID-19, Durga Puja a month later
The day started with lakhs of people paying obeisance to their forefathers on the banks of Hooghly and other rivers and water bodies across the state amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 14 days ago 18 Sep 20, 12:23am -
- Health activists, BJP leaders join Trinamool ahead of 2021 Bengal polls
Karim, a former Congress Doctors #39; Cell chief and CPI (M) #39;s Birbhum candidate in last year #39;s Lok Sabha election, was welcomed to the party by its secretary-general Partha Chatterjee.
- 15 days ago 17 Sep 20, 1:10am -
- Calcutta HC allows families of those dying due to COVID-19 to perform last rites
It directed that the body should be secured in a body bag, the face end of which should be preferably transparent.
- 15 days ago 17 Sep 20, 12:52am -
- Physical or digital screening: Kolkata International Film Festival yet to decide
Preparatory work such as the selection of films in different sections are going on but it is not clear how the situation will unfold in November.
- 15 days ago 16 Sep 20, 10:49pm -
- Bengal BJP performs 'shahid tarpan' for slain party activists despite Kolkata Police's opposition
Kolkata Police has put up barricades outside the Bagbazar Ghat to prevent BJP activists from entering the area.
- 15 days ago 16 Sep 20, 1:51pm -
- Durga Pujo: Open-air pandals will be the new normal amid COVID-19
Santoshpur Lake Pally has decided to place the idols in an open-air pandal with bright lights accentuating them.
- 16 days ago 16 Sep 20, 2:03am -
- Charges framed against actor Vikram Chatterjee in model Sonika death case
The court has also framed charges of causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others, as well as Section 185 of the Motor vehicle Act.
- 16 days ago 16 Sep 20, 1:32am -
- Kolkata Metro relaxes entry norms for senior citizens
Several elderly persons in the city have complained that they were finding it difficult to download e-passes from #39;Pathadisha #39;, the Metro Railway app.
- 16 days ago 15 Sep 20, 7:05pm -
- 20,500 passengers travel in Kolkata Metro as services resume after five months
Passengers were happy to be back on the Metro premises after March 23, when regular services were suspended to stem the spread of coronavirus infection.
- 17 days ago 15 Sep 20, 3:14am -
- Hindi Diwas should be observed as black day, say groups promoting Bengali pride
Hindi Diwas is observed on this day annually to commemorate the adoption of Hindi as one of the official languages of the country.
- 17 days ago 15 Sep 20, 1:24am -
- Jadavpur University to provide handset, data pack to students not having smartphones
The JU also decided to hold final semester examination in arts and science stream in contactless digital mode from October 1 to 10.
- 18 days ago 14 Sep 20, 2:10am -
- Kolkata Metro resumes services with NEET special trains
The examinees and their guardians were allowed inside the stations upon showing the admit cards to police personnel posted at the entry gates.
- 18 days ago 13 Sep 20, 12:41pm -
- Bar Association of Alipore Court not to attend POCSO court
The Alipore Court Bar Association has around 3,000 lawyers as its members, a senior lawyer said.
- 19 days ago 12 Sep 20, 7:36pm -
- Kangana Ranaut's 'fan' arrested in Kolkata for threatening Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut
Ghosh had allegedly threatened the Shiv Sena MP with #39;dire consequences #39; following which the Mumbai Police contacted the city cops and arrested the man.
- 20 days ago 11 Sep 20, 2:03pm -
- Kolkata Police Commissioner Anuj Sharma tests COVID-19 positive
Sharma had attended the quot;Police Day quot; program held at the state secretariat on Tuesday, in which Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and other senior officials were present.
- 21 days ago 10 Sep 20, 9:38pm -
- Kolkata cop succumbs to COVID-19, toll in police force rises to 20
ASI Goutam Mahato, who was in his late 40s, died at a city hospital on Thursday morning, a senior officer of the Kolkata Police said.
- 21 days ago 10 Sep 20, 7:13pm -
- Unlock 4: Kolkata Metro to resume operations on September 14, no services on Sundays
The Metro Railway has decided to allow a maximum 400 passengers at a time in its trains to avoid crowding and to maintain COVID-related norms.
- 21 days ago 10 Sep 20, 6:33pm -
- Kolkata molestation, hit and run case: Car used in incident found; accused still absconding
The police found the sedan after getting its registration number from CCTV footage of areas near Anandapur where the incident took place late on Saturday night.
- 24 days ago 8 Sep 20, 10:50am -
- Unable to operate smartphone, Kolkata thief returns it to owner
Police said on Monday that the man left his mobile phone worth Rs 45,000 by mistake at a sweet shop at Jamalpur in East Burdwan district on September 4.
- 24 days ago 7 Sep 20, 8:45pm -
- Three held for taking photos of women, making lewd comments at Kolkata restaurant
The three accused, who were consuming alcohol sitting on another table in the restaurant, allegedly started making indecent gestures
- 24 days ago 7 Sep 20, 5:07pm -
- COVID-19: Mixed response to September's first bi-weekly lockdown in Bengal
Kolkata Police conducted naka-checking in several areas of the metropolis while mobile units made rounds in different localities to ensure that people remained indoors.
- 24 days ago 7 Sep 20, 2:23pm -
- Kolkata horror: 31-year-old molested, pushed off from speeding car
The incident happened in the Anandapur area in the eastern part of Kolkata on Saturday night, police said on Sunday.
- 25 days ago 7 Sep 20, 10:54am -
- Jadavpur University professor faces casteist abuse on social media
On September 2, Murmu was subjected to a volley of casteist abuse on social media when she wrote in a Facebook post about the need to postpone the final semester exams.
- 25 days ago 6 Sep 20, 6:12pm -
- Overcharging? Bengal panel urges private hospital to reduce COVID-19 treatment bill
The Commission urged that the woman #39;s family be allowed to pay Rs 5,000 over two years to pay the bill, an official said on Saturday said.
- 26 days ago 6 Sep 20, 8:51am -
- Kolkata Metro likely to run services for NEET candidates on September 13
As per the plan, candidates along with guardians will be allowed to board the trains on showing their admit cards.
- 26 days ago 5 Sep 20, 7:06pm -
- Dates for resuming Kolkata Metro services to be fixed shortly: Senior official
Senior officials of the Metro Railway and the state government met for the second time on Friday to discuss issues related to maintenance of social distancing norms and crowd management.
- 27 days ago 4 Sep 20, 6:57pm -
- Air India to operate direct Kolkata-London flight from September 16
According to the spokesperson, the service would be available on Thursdays and Sundays from Kolkata, and Wednesdays and Saturdays from Heathrow.
- 27 days ago 4 Sep 20, 5:11pm -
- Calcutta University to conduct final semester exams online from October 1
Students of the undergraduate and postgraduate level will take the exams during the period and the results will be published by October 31.
- 29 days ago 2 Sep 20, 6:50pm -
- Recordings of Pranab Mukherjee's Chandipath to be played in city Durga Puja
The former President passed away on August 31 in Delhi at the Army #39;s Research and Referral hospital where he had been admitted for brain surgery.
- 29 days ago 2 Sep 20, 6:37pm -
- Calcutta High Court to increase judicial activities from September 8
Beginning September 8, there should be three division benches sitting on a daily basis in addition to the bench presided over by the Chief Justice and four single benches, the order said.
- 29 days ago 2 Sep 20, 3:02pm -
- Modalities to resume services yet to be finalised: Kolkata Metro
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued #39;Unlock 4 #39; guidelines under which Metro services will be allowed to resume services from September 7 in a graded manner.
- 31 days ago 31 Aug 20, 6:01pm -
- 150-year-old building collapses in Kolkata, one woman dead
The woman, who was in her early 70s, her son and grandson were residents of the building on Beliaghata Main Road.
- 35 days ago 27 Aug 20, 4:07pm -
- Kolkata Diary
Battered roads have become a challenge for motorists in the state capital leading to the slow movement of vehicles and traffic snarls.
- 36 days ago 27 Aug 20, 9:13am -
- Flight from COVID-19 hotspot states to Kolkata will resume from September: Mamata Banerjee
Announcing complete lockdown across West Bengal on September 7, 11 and 12, CM Banerjee said Metro Railway can resume services by observing social distancing and other precautionary norms.
- 36 days ago 26 Aug 20, 6:38pm -
- Has fighting COVID-19 with a six-city flight ban helped West Bengal?
A closer look at the state government #39;s policy to prohibit entry of COVID-19 cases from outside Bengal highlights several loopholes.
- 38 days ago 25 Aug 20, 1:26am -
- Driver of app-based cab in Kolkata arrested for molesting woman passenger
As per the woman #39;s complaint, the driver after the quarrel tried to tak her photographs and then allegedly molested her.
- 38 days ago 24 Aug 20, 5:23pm -
- Tagore came to Bolpur from elsewhere to set up Visva Bharati: V-C after Mamata's 'outsider' remark
Professor Bidyut Chakraborty also said that the fairground, which was acquired by the central varsity 60 years ago, does not bear the heritage tag which has been conferred on the institute.
- 39 days ago 24 Aug 20, 8:41am -
- Former Meghalaya governor Tathagata Roy seeks to rejoin BJP in a couple of days
Roy, a former West Bengal BJP president, had earlier said that he is willing to accept any role the party entrusts him with.
- 39 days ago 24 Aug 20, 8:13am -
- Visva-Bharati violence: BJP youth wing submits deputation to Bengal Governor, demands CBI probe
BYJM state president Soumitra Khan said that the delegates also demanded immediate arrest of those involved in the vandalism on August 17.
- 40 days ago 22 Aug 20, 7:03pm -
- COVID-19: Mamata government to conduct survey to detect people with comorbid conditions in Kolkata
According to the plan, the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) will soon start sending teams to residences spread over 144 wards to compile a list of people with comorbidities.
- 41 days ago 21 Aug 20, 5:47pm -
- Kolkata's transgender community welcomes free ration by state government
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee this week had announced free rations for the transgenders till June 2021, which could be availed through the token system.
- 42 days ago 20 Aug 20, 2:00pm -
- A digital channel to help Kolkata's young entrepreneurs hone their skills
Apart from guiding the youth along the path of entrepreneurship, Map of Me also features street art, food, music and everything that is hip in the city.
- 43 days ago 19 Aug 20, 10:42pm -
- Now, see animals, birds of Kolkata zoo live from home
The first session will be from 9 am to 10 am, while the second one will be from 3 pm to 4 pm, Banerjee said.
- 45 days ago 17 Aug 20, 6:28pm -
- Body of Kolkata woman stuffed in sack along with vegetables found in taxi's boot
Police said they have arrested Malina, Ajay, Sujata and her uncle Basu Mondal in connection with the killing.
- 48 days ago 15 Aug 20, 1:11am -
- Travel agents' body urges Mamata government to withdraw ban on flights to Kolkata from six cities
The embargo on the arrival of flights to Kolkata airport from Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Nagpur and Ahmedabad was first imposed for a period of 14 days from July 6.
- 50 days ago 13 Aug 20, 10:30am -
- Bengal COVID-19 toll reaches 2,203, patient dies in ambulance outside Kolkata hospital
The hospital has refuted charge of claiming Rs three lakh as admission fee and said that the 60-year-old woman #39;s family was given an estimate for treatment but not pressurised for making payments.
- 50 days ago 13 Aug 20, 8:55am -
- Kolkata's Shobhabazar Chhoto Rajbari to remain off limits for visitors during Durga Puja
Dhakis #39; will also be absent during the festivities and recorded music will be played.
- 51 days ago 11 Aug 20, 6:17pm -
- Cricketer Mohammed Shami's estranged wife receives threat for congratulatory messages on Ram temple bhoomi pujan
Jahan has lodged a complaint with the Kolkata Police Cyber Crime department at its Lalbazar headquarters on Sunday.
- 52 days ago 11 Aug 20, 8:07am -
- Fire breaks out at building near Poddar Court in Kolkata
At least 10 fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the fire which broke out at the G+5 building housing several offices, they said.
- 52 days ago 10 Aug 20, 8:00pm -