- COVID-19: Bengal to club containment and buffer zones to enforce tougher lockdown from July 9
The containment zones and buffer zones around them will be clubbed together and constitute a #39;broad-based #39; containment zone where total lockdown will be imposed from 5 pm on Thursday.
- 8 days ago 7 Jul 20, 7:51pm -
- Some lawyers appear in open court hearings at Calcutta HC, some opt for video-conferencing
Six courts - four division benches and two single benches - sat on Tuesday to take up various listed matters, including criminal and civil cases.
- 8 days ago 7 Jul 20, 7:18pm -
- ED slaps biggest ever FEMA notice of Rs 7,220 crore on Kolkata firm for illegal foreign exchange
The FEMA show cause notice has been issued after completion of an over year-long investigation and under various sections of the Forex law, the official sources said.
- 8 days ago 6 Jul 20, 10:22pm -
- Legal eagle of India’s oldest law firm Fox & Mandal no more
Dinabandhu Mandal handled several important cases in his extensive career including acting for Jit Paul at the time of Emergency, the famous Sanchita case and NYK zip case.
- 9 days ago 6 Jul 20, 11:18am -
- Fire breaks out at multi-storey building at Burrabazar area in Kolkata
Seven fire tenders rushed to the spot to put off the blaze, which erupted around 10 am, fire brigade sources said.
- 10 days ago 5 Jul 20, 2:37pm -
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata highrise; no casualties reported
Five fire tenders are at the spot to douse the blaze that broke out around 8.40 pm, police said.
- 10 days ago 5 Jul 20, 12:45am -
- Calcutta HC additional judge Justice Protik Prakash Banerjee passes away
Justice Banerjee passed away around 5.30 am at a city hospital, Calcutta High Court Registrar General Rai Chattopadhyay said.
- 12 days ago 3 Jul 20, 1:51pm -
- 20 per cent marks from internal assessment and 80 per cent from best of previous semesters: Calcutta University
Regarding back papers, the marks will be awarded on the basis of the best score obtained in the remaining qualified papers of that semester.
- 12 days ago 3 Jul 20, 1:18am -
- Coffee House adda returns as Kolkata's iconic cafe reopens after 103 days
As the gates of the heritage eatery opened at 11 am, around 25 customers, most of them regulars at the eatery, trooped in.
- 12 days ago 2 Jul 20, 10:31pm -
- Kolkata Diocese announces slash in fees for 13 schools
The Bishop said schools run by the CNI in city have decided to effect 25 per cent waiver of fees under computer, sports and library heads immediately.
- 13 days ago 2 Jul 20, 6:54pm -
- Seven policemen in Kolkata test positive for COVID-19
Sources at the health department said more than 350 policemen here have been diagnosed with the disease over the past four months.
- 13 days ago 2 Jul 20, 3:41pm -
- Army Brigadier dies in Kolkata due to COVID-19
Around 434 deaths have been reported in the last 24 hours taking the number of COVID-19 deaths in the country to 17,834.
- 13 days ago 2 Jul 20, 1:18pm -
- Kolkata man dies from coronavirus, kin keep body in freezer for hours as officials fail to respond
Within an hour, Kolkata Municipal Corporation employees reached the apartment and took away the body for cremation.
- 13 days ago 2 Jul 20, 1:35am -
- Kolkata school says will debar student if first quarter fees not paid
The notice triggered fresh protests by guardians before the school building in south Kolkata on Wednesday.
- 13 days ago 1 Jul 20, 10:16pm -
- COVID-19 outbreak: Kolkata's Kalighat temple reopens for devotees after 100 days
Chhanda Dey, another devotee, said she prayed to the goddess for a COVID-free world and wellbeing of family members and fellow citizens.
- 14 days ago 1 Jul 20, 3:15pm -
- Kolkata's AMRI hospital asked to pay Rs 10 lakh as compensation for child's death
In 2018, 2-year-old Oyetri Dey had died at the Mukundapur unit of the AMRI because of Asphyxia, a condition in which the body is deprived of oxygen.
- 14 days ago 1 Jul 20, 12:23pm -
- NICED official tests positive for coronavirus in Kolkata
The official, who had complained of uneasiness on Friday, was asked to undergo home isolation.
- 15 days ago 30 Jun 20, 2:10pm -
- Kolkata Metro can restart services if it gets nod from Railways: Officials
Under normal circumstances, the Kolkata Metro carries around 6.5 lakh passengers on a weekday.
- 16 days ago 29 Jun 20, 7:10pm -
- Commuter hassles aggravate in Kolkata as several private buses stay off roads citing losses
Travellers complained of inordinate delays in getting to their destinations as fewer private buses are in operation in the metropolis and its suburbs compared to last week.
- 16 days ago 29 Jun 20, 12:55pm -
- To protest Chinese investment in firm, Zomato employees in Kolkata burn company T-shirts
The agitation comes in the backdrop of the killing of 20 Indian soldiers in a clash with Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh #39;s Galwan Valley on June 15.
- 16 days ago 29 Jun 20, 9:52am -
- Over 14 per cent in Kolkata residents have COVID-19 antibodies: ICMR seroprevalence survey
Antibody is a protective protein produced by the immune system in response to the presence of a foreign substance, an antigen.
- 17 days ago 28 Jun 20, 7:27pm -
- Kolkata Diary: All that is happening in the 'City of Joy'
While the forest department will plant trees along some of the Kolkata rsquo;s arterial thoroughfares, the Kolkata Municipal Corporation has started to build two additional electric pyres.
- 17 days ago 28 Jun 20, 9:33am -
- Kolkata Metro ready with modalities to retart services if it gets green signal from Railways
CM Mamata Banerjee had earlier in the day said her government wants to restart metro services with a #39;100-per cent seat occupancy policy #39; only and observing sanitisation norms.
- 18 days ago 26 Jun 20, 10:22pm -
- Bengal reports 11 more COVID-19 fatalities, 445 fresh cases; lockdown extended in state till July 31st
The state #39;s discharge rate improved to 63.94 per cent, with 484 patients recovering from COVID-19 since Tuesday, health department officials said.
- 20 days ago 25 Jun 20, 12:39am -
- Bengal reports 11 more COVID-19 deaths to take toll to 580; low key Rath Yatra in state
The discharge rate in West Bengal also improved to 62.58 per cent after 531 patients were relieved from different hospitals in the state.
- 21 days ago 24 Jun 20, 12:23am -
- West Bengal: 14 more deaths take COVID-19 toll to 569; discharge rates reach 60 per cent
Since Sunday evening, 9,363 samples have been tested in the state, taking the total number of such tests to 4,10,854, the health bulletin added.
- 22 days ago 23 Jun 20, 12:09am -
- COVID-19 death toll rises to 555 in West Bengal with 15 more fatalities, cases reach 13,531
With 432 patients being discharged from hospitals on Sunday, the recovery rate in the state has improved to over 59 per cent, the health bulletin said.
- 23 days ago 22 Jun 20, 12:45am -
- COVID-19: Rath Yatra to be held without pomp and splendour in Bengal this year
ISKON here has already scrapped its plan to take out chariots of Lord Jagannath and his divine siblings Lord Balabhadra and Subhadra Devi.
- 24 days ago 21 Jun 20, 8:49pm -
- 'I'm perfectly healthy': Ganguly's brother Snehasish rubbishes reports of contracting coronavirus
quot;I am perfectly healthy and am doing office everyday. The news doing the rounds about my illness is baseless and is not expected in these trying times, quot; Snehasish said.
- 25 days ago 20 Jun 20, 7:59pm -
- US President Donald Trump intends to nominate Indian American to IDFC Board
The nomination of Parekh to be a member of the Board of Directors of the International Development Finance Corporation will be for a term of three years.
- 25 days ago 20 Jun 20, 4:33pm -
- BCCI president and former India skipper Sourav Ganguly's kin test positive for COVID-19
The wife of Snehasish, the elder brother of BCCI president Sourav Ganguly, was found to be positive for the disease, a senior official said.
- 25 days ago 20 Jun 20, 8:35am -
- LAC standoff: Kolkata's Chinese community wary of 1962 rerun
The Chinese community in the city is one of the largest in the country and is apprehensive that the escalation of the conflict between the two Asian giants would hamper them.
- 26 days ago 19 Jun 20, 8:31am -
- Sixteen residents of Kolkata slum test positive for COVID-19
Those that came in contact with the COVID-19 patients, including family members, have been sent to another isolation unit in neighbouring Howrah district.
- 27 days ago 18 Jun 20, 3:54pm -
- Kolkata diary
The West Bengal government has appealed to all private hospitals to earmark at least 50 beds each for COVID patients.
- 27 days ago 18 Jun 20, 10:45am -
- PIL in Calcutta HC against renaming Kolkata Port Trust after Syama Prasad Mukherjee
It said that the official website of the port trust shows that their name still remains as Kolkata Port Trust, adding that it is indicative of the fact that the name change is yet to occur.
- 28 days ago 17 Jun 20, 6:49pm -
- Madhyamik results to be declared only when situation becomes favourable: Partha Chatterjee
While preparations for timely publication of results are on, everything will depend on how the situation regarding coronavirus unfolds in the coming days, he told reporters on Tuesday.
- 28 days ago 17 Jun 20, 12:33pm -
- Rapid antibody tests in Kolkata as Bengal capital records highest daily COVID-19 spike
Samples were taken from residents of ward numbers 11, 28, 61, 82 and 90, all of which have a large number of containment zones.
- 28 days ago 17 Jun 20, 8:19am -
- Mamata undecided about attending PM's virtual meet on Wednesday: Trinamool sources
West Bengal has been invited to the meeting but has not been slotted as one of the speakers, TMC sources said.
- 28 days ago 17 Jun 20, 8:13am -
- Infighting, discontent brewing in Trinamool ahead of 2021 Bengal assembly elections
The growing dissatisfaction among the party rank and file over various issues has put the top TMC leadership in a fix with just ten months to go for the state assembly polls.
- 30 days ago 15 Jun 20, 12:39pm -
- Kolkata traffic constable dies of COVID-19, second death of police personnel in city
Constable Dilip Sardar, who had tested positive for the disease a few days back and was admitted to the Nil Ratan Sircar Medical College and Hospital succumbed on Saturday
- 31 days ago 13 Jun 20, 11:21pm -
- COVID-19: IIT-KGP researchers develop AI-based system to track social distancing
The team, under the leadership of professor Debashish Chakravarty and professor Aditya Bandopadhyay, has engineered a low-cost device which can detect the gap between individuals.
- 32 days ago 13 Jun 20, 11:38am -
- COVID-19: Video of decomposed bodies surfaces in Kolkata, Governor expresses concern
The West Bengal Health Department and the Kolkata Police, however, dismissed the claim that the bodies were of COVID-19 victims as quot;fake quot; and quot;rumours quot;.
- 33 days ago 11 Jun 20, 11:05pm -
- Unlock: Calcutta High Court reopens doors after over two months
Thermal scanners were used at the entry gates for checking body temperature of lawyers, litigants and court staff.
- 34 days ago 11 Jun 20, 7:05pm -
- Export through Bengal's Petrapole sluggish; Bangladeshi traders unhappy
Unavailability of drivers to take cargo to Bangladesh and problems related to parking of trucks in Petrapole have led to the crisis.
- 34 days ago 11 Jun 20, 12:35pm -
- In a first, Kumartuli artisan ships Durga idol to Australia amid COVID-19 outbreak
Soon after shipping the fibreglass idol to Melbourne on Wednesday, Koushik Ghosh has become busy in making arrangements for sending another to Germany.
- 34 days ago 11 Jun 20, 12:26pm -
- Eleven Kolkata Police personnel test positive for COVID-19
The infected Kolkata Police personnel were from the combat force, the Police Training School (PTS) and different police stations.
- 36 days ago 9 Jun 20, 1:48pm -
- COVID-19: Kolkata sweet shop introduces 'sandesh' to increase immunity
The #39;Immunity Sandesh #39; has 15 herbs and spices such as haldi (turmeric), tulsi, saffron and cardamom, said Sudip Mallick, one of the owners of the shop.
- 36 days ago 9 Jun 20, 1:22pm -
- Kolkata woman first Indian COVID-19 patient to survive after being put on ECMO support
The woman, who is from Kolkata #39;s Kalighat area and weighs around 100 kilogram, got admitted to the hospital on May 17 with high fever and severe breathing distress.
- 36 days ago 9 Jun 20, 11:55am -
- COVID-19: Bengal government to install CCTV cameras in containment zones in Kolkata
The state government has decided to install 500 CCTV cameras in over 480 containment zones in the city and officers of Kolkata Police will keep a watch from the Control Room at Lalbazar.
- 37 days ago 8 Jun 20, 1:24pm -
- Unlock 1: More private buses in Kolkata to ply on city roads on Monday
Shopping malls, restaurants and some other such establishments are also set to reopen from Monday.
- 37 days ago 7 Jun 20, 11:32pm -