- Junior doctors of Kolkata hospital to continue with strike despite warning of action
The health department on Sunday said striking junior doctors will be marked absent if they do not report for duty.
- 45 days ago 20 Oct 21, 12:46am -
- Kolkata Police make 'Burj Khalifa' Durga Puja pandal out of bounds to people amid COVID concerns
The laser show in the pandal was suspended on Wednesday evening following a massive gathering that stoked fears of the spread of COVID-19.
- 51 days ago 14 Oct 21, 12:56am -
- 'Burj Khalifa' Durga Puja pandal suspends laser show over Covid fears
The 150-feet-marquee, modelled on the 828-metre-Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai, is the biggest draw among puja revellers this year.
- 52 days ago 13 Oct 21, 12:35pm -
- Durga, the Himalayan goddess, arrives to reign over the megapolis of Kolkata
While no one is quite sure where the legend of Durga originated, worshippers in Kolkata are certain that she is their mother and daughter rolled into one.
- 54 days ago 10 Oct 21, 7:39pm -
- Kolkata restaurants seek extension of closing hour during Durga Puja
The restaurant owners have taken their appeal to the state chief secretary.
- 56 days ago 9 Oct 21, 5:14pm -
- COVID: Calcutta HC bars entry of visitors into Durga Puja pandals for second year
State Advocate General S N Mukherjee submitted that the previous year's orders will be followed by the authorities concerned.
- 63 days ago 1 Oct 21, 9:29pm -
- Initiative taken to make Durga puja pandals differently-abled friendly in Kolkata
The jury team which will include medical personnel will wrap up the visit to the pandals by Mahasasthi, which heralds the four-day festival.
- 70 days ago 24 Sep 21, 7:09pm -
- Kolkata's Jadavpur University announces free COVID vaccination camp for students
Registrar Snehamanju Basu said in a notification on Wednesday that the West Bengal government has consented to the proposal by the university in this regard.
- 72 days ago 23 Sep 21, 1:15pm -
- Man arrested from south Kolkata for running illegal telecom installation
A seniro police officer said that the telecom installation was terminating the ISD/VOIP calls, and bypass the legal international gateways of domestic operators.
- 73 days ago 22 Sep 21, 11:10am -
- Normal life comes to standstill in Kolkata as heavy rains pound city
More than 100 mm rain was recorded at different places in the city from 1 am to 7 am, submerging many important thoroughfares and low-lying areas under knee-deep water.
- 75 days ago 20 Sep 21, 12:44pm -
- Left government failed to commission Kolkata's 'Maa' flyover on time: State minister Firhad Hakim
CPM leader Bikash Bhattacharya had said that 'neither the Centre nor the TMC government in the state should seek recognition' for the flyover.
- 78 days ago 16 Sep 21, 7:08pm -
- Debt-ridden relatives held for killing Kolkata woman, son
Acting on circumstantial evidence, sleuths of Kolkata Police's Detective Department arrested two cousins of Sushmita Mondal for killing her and her son Tomojit Mondal at their residence.
- 82 days ago 12 Sep 21, 11:41pm -
- Politicians, industrialists visit Kolkata's Kalighat temple as monetary issues, poll battles sharpen
The last crush of worshippers, few of whom bother about the social distancing norms codified in large letters on a board outside, are anxious to have a glimpse of the reigning deity of Calcutta.
- 82 days ago 12 Sep 21, 7:23pm -
- Kolkata: President University students withdraw 96-hour sit-in after authorities accept free vaccine demand
PUSC office-bearer Adrija Adak told PTI Saturday, the authorities issued a notice promising to start free vaccination at the earliest at the campus in collaboration with the state government.
- 84 days ago 11 Sep 21, 2:30pm -
- Major fire at plyboard godown in north Kolkata, no casualties reported
Six fire tenders were working to douse the flames, first spotted around 7.45 am at the first floor of the godown in the congested area filled with old structures, officials said.
- 85 days ago 10 Sep 21, 11:38am -
- Pakhtoon residents to sing theme song of Durga Puja committee of North Kolkata
The theme song, in the 40th year of the popular puja in the Baguiati, Kestopur, Lake Town and Dumdum Park area, will have typical Afghan folk tunes and Pushtu language.
- 86 days ago 9 Sep 21, 12:02pm -
- Four held for intrusion into actor-politician Moon Moon Sen's residence in Kolkata
According to the officer, a group of around 15 people had allegedly barged into the former TMC MP's Ballygunge flat on Saturday and assaulted three of her domestic helps.
- 88 days ago 7 Sep 21, 1:45pm -
- Eminent Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha dies of post-covid complications
The writer was suffering from post-Covid complications and had been hospitalised earlier this month after complaining of breathlessness and urinary infection.
- 96 days ago 30 Aug 21, 9:37am -
- Delhi-bound Air India plane suffers tyre burst on Kolkata airport taxiway
The aircraft, carrying 226 passengers, was subsequently brought back to the parking bay.
- 97 days ago 28 Aug 21, 7:38pm -
- COVID-19 vaccine to be administered at health clinics every day: Kolkata Municipal Corporation
West Bengal transport minister Firhad Hakim further said that the civic body has the infrastructure to vaccinate as many as one lakh people in a day.
- 21 Aug 21, 4:57pm -
- Uttam Kumar Sarkar named new director of IIM-Calcutta
Sarkar was selected from a large number of highly accomplished and qualified aspirants from India and abroad, through a very rigorous search process that lasted several months.
- 18 Aug 21, 3:10pm -
- Kabuliwalas of Kolkata worry about kin back home as Taliban seize power in Afghanistan
Kabuliwalas usually visit from one door to the other selling wares from their country, mostly dry fruits, rugs and perfume, or deal in the business of lending money.
- 16 Aug 21, 7:57pm -
- 11 injured as bus hits pillar in Kolkata; police search absconding driver
The driver of bus -- which was on its way to Science City -- somehow lost control of the wheels near Pragati Maidan area and rammed into one of the pillars of Maa flyover', an officer stated.
- 11 Aug 21, 2:34pm -
- COVID vaccine at doorstep for old, ailing Kolkata residents
Many Kolkata residents, who are above 80 years, and those over 60 years and have serious illness, could not travel to COVID vaccination centres
- 1 Aug 21, 1:34pm -
- Congress protests outside Raj Bhavan in Kolkata over snooping row, many held
Police detained some of the protesters and took them to the central lock-up at the Kolkata Police headquarters at Lalbazar.
- 26 Jul 21, 5:41pm -
- Kolkata: 30 shops gutted in fire in Kestopur, one severely injured
Fifteen fire tenders fought the flames for three hours to put off the blaze which broke out at around 2 am, the sources said.
- 25 Jul 21, 1:55pm -
- Kolkata Police STF arrests drug peddler, heroin worth Rs 26 crore seized
The STF of Kolkata Police arrested a drug peddler and seized heroin worth nearly Rs 26 crore from his possession.
- 18 Jul 21, 1:29pm -
- Three arrested with huge quantity of explosives near Kolkata
Acting on a tip-off, the STF of the West Bengal Police made the arrests on Wednesday from Shasan, around 30 km from Kolkata.
- 15 Jul 21, 10:53am -
- COVID: Kolkata Metro to run 192 trains in north-south route from Friday
While the services will start from 8 am, the last train from both directions will leave the originating station at 8 pm, a Metro spokesperson said.
- 15 Jul 21, 12:18am -
- JMB terrorists arrested in Kolkata may have Al-Qaeda links: Police
It is suspected that they have associates in some districts of the state, a senior officer of the Special Task Force (STF) of the Kolkata Police said on Tuesday.
- 14 Jul 21, 12:38pm -
- Kolkata gears up for Durga Puja, all involved to be vaccinated in three months
The pandals have to be built in such a way that devotees can see the idols from a distance and need not come near, as per the guidelines.
- 14 Jul 21, 11:37am -
- 37 held from top Kolkata hotel for partying amid COVID restrictions; hotel authorities booked
An FIR was lodged against the hotel authorities and they were called for questioning in connection with the matter, an officer said.
- 11 Jul 21, 8:54pm -
- Durga Puja: Kumartuli clay modellers optimistic as idol bookings rise amid COVID shadow
Mintu Paul, one of the leading clay modellers in the area, said that the number of bookings is only 20-25 per cent of what was registered in pre-COVID times two years back.
- 11 Jul 21, 8:18pm -
- Two doctors transferred from Kolkata hospital over sexual harassment plaint by medical student
The main accused in the case, an assistant professor, was transferred to the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital.
- 9 Jul 21, 8:19pm -
- Fake vaccination camps: Calcutta HC refuses to interfere in probe for now
The court said it is not inclined to interfere in the investigation of the case at this stage.
- 9 Jul 21, 5:18pm -
- Enforcement Directorate to probe fake COVID vaccination camps in Kolkata
The matter is at present being probed by he Kolkata Police's Detective Department, which has already arrested nine persons, including a fake IAS officer.
- 9 Jul 21, 3:10pm -
- Fake vaccine racket: BJP workers clash with police during march to Kolkata municipal corporation
Several senior BJP leaders and workers were detained by the police during their march towards the KMC office.
- 5 Jul 21, 3:21pm -
- One more arrested in vaccination scam in Kolkata; samples of fluids in vials sent for examination
Officials informed during the day about arrest of another associate of Deb, who was apprehended for allegedly masterminding fake vaccination camps in the metropolis.
- 4 Jul 21, 12:11am -
- 'No sale' protest by Kolkata petrol pumps on July 7 over jump in prices
The sharp spike in the prices has also led to a massive drop in the sale of fuel in the state, West Bengal Petroleum Dealers' Association joint secretary Prasenjit Sen said.
- 3 Jul 21, 8:13pm -
- Kolkata: 19 held for duping foreigners via fake call centers
During a raid conducted late Thursday night, the police arrested these people who were working in different illegal call centres in the satellite township of Salt Lake, he said.
- 3 Jul 21, 12:42am -
- Cop killed, several injured after bus hits Fort William wall in Kolkata
Vivekananda Dab, who was employed with the Kolkata Police Reserve Force, was declared 'brought dead' by doctors at the nearby SSKM hospital.
- 1 Jul 21, 3:04pm -
- Fake COVID vaccine camps: HC directs West Bengal government to file report on probe progress
Hundreds of people, including Trinamool Congress MP Mimi Chakraborty, were injected with alleged fake vaccines at such a camp organised by Deb at Kasba area in south Kolkata.
- 30 Jun 21, 5:23pm -
- Vaccine scam accused fake IAS officer quizzed in 2020 over job cheating complaint: Police
Deb even conducted a raid as an "IAS officer" and the report of it with his photo was published in a newspaper, the official said.
- 29 Jun 21, 12:55am -
- Kolkata vaccine scam: Accused told police he wrote to Serum Institute for Covishield
Deb, who had impersonated as a joint commissioner of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, also insisted that he had set up two fake camps in the city, and not multiple ones.
- 27 Jun 21, 11:11pm -
- Three more arrested by Kolkata Police in dubious COVID vaccine camps case
Two of the associates were signatories of the bank account that was created in the name of Kolkata Municipal Corporation by the accused.
- 26 Jun 21, 10:55am -
- Kolkata vaccination scam: Medicines found in office of fake officer who held camps
It was also revealed during investigation that the arrested man opened several bank accounts in the names of senior Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) officials using fake documents.
- 24 Jun 21, 11:34pm -
- Heavy rain batters West Bengal, leaves arterial roads and low-lying areas waterlogged
The southern parts of the city received more rainfall than the north, leaving streets and alleys waterlogged in Ballygunge Circular Road, Loudon Street and Southern Avenue.
- 17 Jun 21, 2:03pm -
- Fire at TMC MLA Madan Mitra's residence in Kolkata
TMC MLA Madan Mitra along with his family members rushed out of the house as soon as the fire was spotted in a room on the ground floor.
- 8 Jun 21, 12:04pm -
- Dearth of judges at Calcutta HC affecting justice delivery: West Bengal bar council vice-chairman
According to the National Judicial Data Grid, a total of 2,72,092 cases are pending before the Calcutta High Court, which has a sanctioned strength of 72 judges.
- 7 Jun 21, 4:17pm -
- COVID-19: Kolkata gets vaccine bus that will travel to markets to inoculate priority groups
The 'vaccination on wheels' initiative was launched by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation on Thursday in cooperation with the Health and Transport departments of the West Bengal government.
- 3 Jun 21, 3:28pm -