- Cyclone Amphan kills 12 in Bengal; Kolkata Airport to restart services on Thursday afternoon
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee convened a meeting of the state task force on Thursday afternoon to assess the damage and measures to be taken for the people in the affected zones.
- 5 days ago 21 May 20, 12:05pm -
- Trains, flights cancelled as Cyclone 'Amphan' about 170 km south of Bengal's Digha
The system, which was moving in a northward direction at a speed of 20 km per hour, was situated 300 km southeast of Kolkata at 11 am on Wednesday.
- 6 days ago 20 May 20, 1:16pm -
- COVID-19: Bengal death toll reaches 160, Mamata government to bear cost of Shramik trains
Of the seven deaths, three each were reported from the city and neighbouring Howrah and one from South 24 Parganas district, bulletin of the state health department released later stated.
- 9 days ago 17 May 20, 1:13am -
- Kolkata Airport gears up as first repatriation flight from Bangladesh to arrive on Monday
From collecting boarding pass to tagging of luggage, social distancing norms will be strictly followed and there will be zero contact with personnel at the counters, airport sources said.
- 9 days ago 16 May 20, 11:42pm -
- COVID-19: 185 Manipuri nurses quit private hospital jobs in Kolkata, health worker kills self in Jalpaiguri
A total of 153 people have died directly due to COVID-19 in the state so far and 72 others succumbed because of other comorbidity conditions where the presence of coronavirus was incidental.
- 10 days ago 16 May 20, 12:46am -
- 10 more die of COVID-19 in Bengal; 84 fresh cases take state tally past 1400
The number of active cases in the state rose to 1,407, with at least 84 more testing positive for the infection during the period, the department said its bulletin on Friday.
- 10 days ago 16 May 20, 12:33am -
- Kolkata Metro mulls 'drastic' cut in passengers count, mandatory thermal screening, use of masks
The metro railway will abide by guidelines issued by the Centre for resumption, the official said.
- 10 days ago 15 May 20, 10:48pm -
- Kolkata's renowned idol-making hub Kumartuli badly hit due to lockdown
Idol-making has come to a halt and those involved in the business are staring at huge losses this year.
- 11 days ago 15 May 20, 6:57pm -
- COVID-19: Bengal death toll nears 150, train with over 1,000 passengers reaches Howrah
While six deaths were reported from Kolkata, two were reported from the neighbouring Howrah district, the health department said in a bulletin.
- 11 days ago 15 May 20, 12:16am -
- Calcutta HC, circuit benches to continue to take up only urgent matters till May 31
The high court and the subordinate courts will hear #39;extremely urgent matters #39; through video conferencing as is being done since the lockdown commenced, Registrar General Rai Chattopadhyay said.
- 12 days ago 14 May 20, 1:43pm -
- CISF officer dies due to COVID-19 in Kolkata, 37 colleagues turn positive
The 37 personnel found COVID positive have already been shifted for treatment at State Medical Facilities designated for treatment of the virus.
- 12 days ago 14 May 20, 12:32am -
- Doctor travels 2200 km during lockdown to fight coronavirus in his home state
Rohit Panda, who has recently passed MBBS from Bharati Vidyapeeth University Medical College in Pune, was unfazed with the myriad restrictions in place.
- 12 days ago 14 May 20, 12:27am -
- West Bengal to start 'sentinel survey' in all 23 districts to monitor COVID-19 situation: Mamata
A senior official of the state government said that every week, 200 samples will be collected from each district.
- 12 days ago 14 May 20, 12:18am -
- After 51 days of lockdown, passenger train chugs out again from Howrah Station
The special air-conditioned express left Howrah with more than 1,000 passengers in a partial restoration of passenger services that commenced from Tuesday, according to Railways sources.
- 13 days ago 13 May 20, 12:49am -
- COVID-19: Bengal death toll nears 130, 785 hotel rooms identified as quarantine facilities
Altogether 5,007 samples have been tested for the disease in the past 24 hours, the home secretary said.
- 13 days ago 12 May 20, 11:57pm -
- CISF personnel succumbs to COVID-19 in Kolkata, positive cases in CAPFs nears 800
CISF personnel are among the frontline warriors against COVID-19. Indian security forces have come forward to lend a helping hand to the people who have been affected during the lockdown.
- 13 days ago 12 May 20, 8:41pm -
- Bengal being politically targeted over COVID-19: Mamata hits out at Modi government
The Bengal CM also demanded that the Centre formulate a #39;clear strategy #39; to fight the disease, sources in the state #39;s ruling party said.
- 14 days ago 12 May 20, 1:13am -
- COVID-19: Bengal fatalities near 120, doctors urge Mamata to relook into state's strategy against virus
Three COVID-19 deaths were reported from Kolkata, while North 24 Parganas district accounted for two more, according to a health department bulletin on Monday.
- 14 days ago 11 May 20, 11:52pm -
- Reports of suspected COVID-19 cases force closure of Bengal shops after reopening
The business of non-essential goods has also not picked up and it is nearly one-fifth of the usual trade, Confederation of West Bengal Traders Association president Sushil Poddar said.
- 14 days ago 11 May 20, 10:34pm -
- COVID-19: Containment zones in Kolkata increase to 338
West Bengal at present has four red zones including the city, neighbouring Howrah, North 24 Parganas and Purba Medinipur districts.
- 15 days ago 11 May 20, 1:12pm -
- Liquor outlets in Bengal run out stock, down shutters amid COVID-19 lockdown
The West Bengal government took the decision to reopen the shops in red, green and orange zones, barring the containment areas, but there was inadequate backend support for logistics.
- 15 days ago 10 May 20, 8:33pm -
- Fire breaks out in high-rise building in Kolkata's Salt Lake
Flames were first spotted in the server room at around 10 am and the maintenance staff and security personnel informed the fire brigade.
- 16 days ago 10 May 20, 2:25pm -
- Love's Labour Lost: How the theatre world is coping with the COVID-19 lockdown
Echoing her thoughts, 28-year-old Anirijt Hore suggests it is time to create on paper - to plan, ideate, and produce later.
- 16 days ago 10 May 20, 1:15pm -
- Indian Museum in Kolkata sealed after CISF personnel dies of COVID-19
Thirty-three CISF personnel deployed at the gallery #39;s security unit have been asked to self-quarantine, said Indian Museum director A D Choudhury
- 17 days ago 8 May 20, 9:11pm -
- COVID-19: SBI shuts Kolkata wing after employee tests positive, CISF official succumbs to deadly virus
The SBI official said the employee was not attending office for the last 8-10 days and was later found to have contracted the deadly virus.
- 18 days ago 8 May 20, 1:17pm -
- Kolkata cinema hall owners not optimistic about post-lockdown revival
Arijit Dutta said the distribution business will suffer due to the crisis which may lead to the emergence of other digital mediums.
- 20 days ago 6 May 20, 1:54pm -
- Under opposition fire, Bengal audit panel will not certify COVID-19 deaths anymore
A senior member of the panel said now the doctors treating COVID-19 patients will certify whether they have died of the viral disease or any other concurrent illness.
- 22 days ago 4 May 20, 3:31am -
- COVID-19: Bengal attributes 72 deaths to co-morbidities, asks hospitals not to wait for approvals for testings
The chief secretary also said that there are at least 444 total containment zones in Bengal where the government has imposed complete lockdown.
- 25 days ago 1 May 20, 8:46am -
- Calcutta HC proceedings for Thursday cancelled after driver's mother tests COVID-19 positive
A notification by the high court registrar general also recalled the sitting of division and single benches on May 4, 7, 12 and 15.
- 26 days ago 30 Apr 20, 2:23pm -
- Kolkata man dies after tested thrice for COVID-19, family fears virus contraction
The latest incident is likely to cause an embarrassment to the Mamata Banerjee government, which is at loggerheads with the Centre.
- 26 days ago 30 Apr 20, 11:11am -
- Bengal lockdown: WBSE will take a call on publication of secondary examination results
Education minister Partha Chatterjee said that WBBSE will take a call on deciding on the date of publication of results after normalcy is restored and lockdown is lifted.
- 26 days ago 30 Apr 20, 9:10am -
- Positive, negative, positive, dead: This COVID-19 victim's family has every reason to be angry!
The resident of Amherst Street in north Kolkata was suffering from fever since April 18 and he was taken to the fever clinic of a private healthcare unit after four days.
- 27 days ago 29 Apr 20, 7:31pm -
- Bengal insititute develops robotic device that can collect samples of COVID-19 suspects
The device will help the frontline healthcare workers in delivering services while maintaining social distancing, reducing the chance of them getting infected.
- 27 days ago 29 Apr 20, 8:33am -
- Bus operators' body in Bengal writes to PM for financial aid amid lockdown
Rahul Chatterjee, the general secretary of the committee, said a similar request has been forwarded to Union Minister of Transport and Highways and MSME Nitin Gadkari.
- 28 days ago 28 Apr 20, 5:32pm -
- COVID-19: Four districts declared red zones as Bengal registers second doctor death in two days
Eleven districts have been identified as orange zones, while eight are in the green zone, as per the list released by the state government.
- 28 days ago 28 Apr 20, 8:27am -
- Senior government doctor, another man die of COVID-19 in Bengal
The 60-year-old doctor was initially admitted to Beliaghata Infectious Diseases hospital and later shifted to a private hospital in Salt Lake on April 18.
- 29 days ago 27 Apr 20, 8:40am -
- Kolkata corporation seeks Mayor's approval to terminate 'absent' medical officers
There are 144 wards in the KMC and each ward has a clinic which is supposed to be attended by a doctor and paramedic staff.
- 30 days ago 26 Apr 20, 5:40pm -
- IMCT inspects COVID-19 designated M R Bangur Super Speciality Hospital in Kolkata
The Union Home Ministry-constituted IMCTs visit coronavirus hotspots for assessment, issue directions to combat the spread of the lethal virus in those areas and submit a report to the central governm
- 33 days ago 23 Apr 20, 4:33pm -
- Eastern Railway hospital doctor in Kolkata tests positive for COVID-19
The doctor, who was on leave since April 14 as she was feeling unwell, tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, ER spokesperson Nikhil Chakraborty said.
- 33 days ago 23 Apr 20, 1:09pm -
- COVID-19: Central team visits quarantine centre near Kolkata
Two central teams are in West Bengal to look into the state #39;s preparedness for tackling the COVID-19 outbreak.
- 33 days ago 23 Apr 20, 12:35pm -
- Sustained lockdown drives many in unorganised sector to sell veggies, fish in Bengal
West Bengal Consumer Affairs Minister Sadhan Pandey, when asked about this trend, said if the traders abide by the norms, the government sees no reason to stop them.
- 36 days ago 20 Apr 20, 10:24am -
- COVID-19 testing triggers full-blown row in Bengal, Mamata government says not hiding figures
Till Saturday, the state had reported 233 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 12 deaths, far lower than other big states like Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- 37 days ago 19 Apr 20, 2:10pm -
- 21-month-old infant tests positive for coronavirus in Kolkata
The infant, a resident of Uttar Panchanna Gram in south Kolkata, was shifted to the Beliaghata ID and BG Hospital from the Institute of Child Health (ICH) after he tested positive for COVID-19.
- 38 days ago 18 Apr 20, 8:08pm -
- More than 900 people arrested for violating COVID-19 lockdown restrictions in Kolkata
Although major parts of the state wore a deserted look, people in some parts of the city were seen jostling with each other in markets to buy essential commodities, disregarding social distancing.
- 39 days ago 17 Apr 20, 1:18am -
- Diabetics need not overly worry about coronavirus: Kolkata's COVID-19 survivor
Medical experts have been saying that if diabetes is kept under control, a coronavirus patient with diabetes can be treated as any other non-diabetic COVID-19 patient.
- 48 days ago 7 Apr 20, 8:48pm -
- Don’t panic, have faith in doctors: COVID-19 Kolkata survivor
When Monami Biswas, a postgraduate management student at the University of Edinburgh, landed at the Mumbai airport from Scotland on March 16, she had a fever.
- 51 days ago 5 Apr 20, 8:21am -
- Lockdown: Students stuck in Presidency's Hindu hostel help raise fund for wage earners
The 10 students are regularly in touch with their friends over the phone and social media and coordinating with others in raising the fund.
- 51 days ago 4 Apr 20, 8:45pm -
- Lockdown: RJs with private FM stations in Kolkata working from home to engage listeners
Actor-RJ-comedian Mir Afsar Ali, popularly known as Mir, has moved to work-from-mode since March 24.
- 52 days ago 3 Apr 20, 11:15pm -
- Microbiologists in Bengal emerge unlikely heroes in COVID-19 time
Welcome to the world of NICED, where samples taken from suspected coronavirus cases are re-examined for confirmation.
- 52 days ago 3 Apr 20, 9:38pm -
- WATCH | Kolkata police sing 'We shall overcome' to cheer people amid COVID-19 lockdown
Through their performance cops of Gariahat Police Station urged people to stay at their homes during the lockdown.
- 53 days ago 3 Apr 20, 10:24am -