- Kolkata: Trinamool holds 'peace' rally in area where BJP roadshow witnessed clashes
State ministers Arup Biswas and Sovandeb Chattopadhyay, who are local MLAs, led the rally that was scheduled from Tollygunge metro station to Rashbehari but went ahead till Hazra Park.
- 5 days ago 19 Jan 21, 9:50pm -
- Tension in south Kolkata after stones hurled at BJP activists during roadshow
The roadshow, which commenced at Tollygunge tram depot, was set to culminate at Rashbehari Avenue -- often referred to as the backyard of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- 6 days ago 18 Jan 21, 11:58pm -
- Tension in south Kolkata after stones hurled at BJP activists during roadshow
An officer said that infuriated over the attack, BJP workers chased the miscreants, who by then had fled to nearby bylanes and the saffron camp activists then ransacked a few motorcycles and shops.
- 6 days ago 18 Jan 21, 6:36pm -
- Kolkata nurse stable, experts trying to ascertain cause behind illness post COVID vaccine jab
The health department official, who is also a prominent doctor, said the experts are examining her condition as of now, and the analysis might take some time.
- 7 days ago 17 Jan 21, 3:14pm -
- Kolkata nurse loses consciousness after taking COVID vaccine, hospitalised
Thirteen other #39;Adverse Event Following Immunisation #39; (AEFI) cases were also reported from various parts of the state but those were not serious.
- 8 days ago 17 Jan 21, 12:23am -
- Presidency University students organise sit-in demanding resumption of academic activities
Around 30 students participated in the sit-in outside the main gate on the footpath adjacent to College Street for about 22 hours from 4 pm on Wednesday.
- 10 days ago 14 Jan 21, 4:43pm -
- Major fire at Kolkata slum leaves hundreds homeless, blaze under control after four hours
Twenty-seven fire tenders took around four hours to control the blaze that broke out around 6.55 pm in the Hazari Bustee on Kshirode Vidyavinode Avenue beside the Bagbazar Women #39;s College.
- 10 days ago 14 Jan 21, 12:43pm -
- Kolkata allocated highest number of COVID-19 vaccines in Bengal
North 24 Parganas district has been allocated the second-highest number of COVID vaccines at 47,000, followed by Murshidabad at 37,500, a senior health official said.
- 10 days ago 14 Jan 21, 12:04pm -
- COVID museum on cards in Kolkata to commemorate pandemic fight
The museum will also have a memorial for the doctors who have succumbed to the disease.
- 11 days ago 13 Jan 21, 8:02pm -
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata godown, no casualties
The fire was doused completely within an hour, a Kolkata Police officer said.
- 11 days ago 13 Jan 21, 6:48pm -
- No e-passes needed in Kolkata Metro from Monday, weekday services to increase
The metro will also increase the frequency of its weekday services on the North-South Line from 228 to 240, the official said.
- 11 days ago 13 Jan 21, 4:24pm -
- Brown sugar worth Rs 50 lakh seized in Bengal's Malda
Following interrogation of the accused, a resident of Dakshin Laxmipur village, police seized around 2.5 kg of brown sugar from his house.
- 14 days ago 10 Jan 21, 2:33pm -
- Gay cruising in the City of Joy: A quest for touch amidst Covid-19
During the lockdown, a sense of loneliness crept slowly into our lives and made its way into our hearts, refusing to leave. More so for the LGBTQ community.
- 16 days ago 9 Jan 21, 12:49am -
- NGOs come together to support trans community in Kolkata
29-year-old D Chatterjee, the only breadwinner in her family, lost her job as a dancer at weddings soon after the government of India put a halt to gatherings.
- 16 days ago 8 Jan 21, 6:01pm -
- Mamata Banerjee stands in queue to collect health scheme card
State BJP president Dilip Ghosh, however, dubbed the move as quot;pure drama quot;.
- 19 days ago 5 Jan 21, 1:34pm -
- Kolkata: Woman sexually molested by two friends in a moving car
The victim was returning home at around 11 pm after attending a birthday party of her friend in Jadavpur #39;s Bikramgarh area in a vehicle where three of her friends including one woman were present.
- 25 days ago 30 Dec 20, 12:09pm -
- UK returnee tests positive for coronavirus with new strain in Kolkata
The official said those who returned with the UK returnee will be sent for isolation and they will undergo COVID-19 tests.
- 25 days ago 30 Dec 20, 11:18am -
- BJP appoints former mayor Sovan Chatterjee as Kolkata zone observer
Chatterjee, a former confidante of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and a minister in her cabinet, joined the saffron party last year.
- 28 days ago 27 Dec 20, 10:23pm -
- 10 political prisoners start fasting in Kolkata to support farmers' protest
In a statement released from the Dumdum Central Jail, the protestors described the laws as anti-farmer and alleged that the BJP-led Central government took advantage of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
- 28 days ago 27 Dec 20, 6:38pm -
- Over 20 injured in accident on AJC Bose Road flyover in Kolkata
The incident occurred at around 4.30 PM when the speeding light commercial vehicle ferrying passengers rammed into the flyover #39;s boundary wall and overturned.
- 32 days ago 23 Dec 20, 6:55pm -
- Illegal coal mining: CBI raids five locations in Kolkata
The central investigating agency had on November 28 conducted raids at 45 places, including 25 in West Bengal, in connection with its probe into illegal coal mining.
- 33 days ago 22 Dec 20, 10:56pm -
- University of Calcutta wins Azim Premji University's social enterprise idea challenge
The winning team creates floating gardens in ponds to cultivate organic vegetables and create employment for the Musahar community, which comprises landless labourers.
- 34 days ago 21 Dec 20, 6:35am -
- Over 95 films screened online at Calcutta International Short Film Festival
Kamaleshwar Mukherjee #39;s #39;The Hunger Artist #39;, which has won several international awards, was the opening film of CISFF 2020.
- 35 days ago 20 Dec 20, 7:07pm -
- Bengal government keen on holding Kolkata civic polls in March: SEC
Civic polls were slated to be held in April 2020, but the state government deferred the process owing to the COVID- 19 pandemic.
- 40 days ago 15 Dec 20, 11:41pm -
- Kolkata book fair will be held in 2021, but behind schedule: Organisers
The guild is in regular touch with the West Bengal government and waiting for its advice on the issue.
- 41 days ago 14 Dec 20, 11:21pm -
- Body of man found hanging in house in Kolkata
The deceased was alone at home as his father went to Uttar Pradesh to attend a relative #39;s marriage ceremony.
- 48 days ago 7 Dec 20, 1:57pm -
- Four held for gangrape of minor girl in Kolkata
Four persons have been arrested for allegedly gangraping a minor girl in Kolkata #39;s adjoining New Town area.
- 50 days ago 5 Dec 20, 6:04pm -
- More important to proceed against 'uniformed criminals': Calcutta HC orders probe against cop
The court directed the DGP to institute an appropriate inquiry and, if necessary, disciplinary proceedings be initiated against this investigating officer upon looking into his past conduct.
- 51 days ago 4 Dec 20, 1:23pm -
- Kolkata Metro to increase daily services, smart cards mandatory due to COVID-19
Senior citizens, ladies and children below 15 years, will not be required to produce e-passes throughout the day.
- 52 days ago 3 Dec 20, 7:41pm -
- Phase-3 clinical trial of Covaxin commences in Kolkata
West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar NICED has been chosen as one among two dozen centres in the country for the third phase trial of the indigenously developed coronavirus vaccine.
- 53 days ago 2 Dec 20, 2:21pm -
- Covaxin trial in Kolkata from December 2, Bengal minister may get first shot
State Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim (62) is likely to be the volunteer to take the first shot of Covaxin if everything goes according to plan and he is found to be fit in the medical tests.
- 54 days ago 1 Dec 20, 1:19pm -
- Coal official dies in Kolkata after falling sick during CBI search operation
The searches are spread across West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh, the Central Bureau of Investigation said.
- 57 days ago 28 Nov 20, 4:38pm -
- COVID-19: Kolkata Municipal Corporation surveys over 7.5 lakh households to prepare comorbidity data
The data from the survey, carried out between September 7 and 30 at each of the KMC #39;s 144 wards, would also come handy during preparations for the COVID-19 vaccination programme.
- 58 days ago 27 Nov 20, 4:55pm -
- 1,000 volunteers from Kolkata needed for COVID vaccine trial at NICED
NICED has already started getting applications from people interested to be part of the trial for the vaccine, the official of the medical institute said.
- 58 days ago 27 Nov 20, 12:59pm -
- BJP activists clash with Kolkata police during march towards under-construction Majerhat Bridge
The police erected barricades at Taratala More to prevent the saffron party cadre from marching towards the construction site
- 59 days ago 26 Nov 20, 3:38pm -
- Semi-decomposed bodies of elderly couple found in Kolkata flat
Neighbours alerted the police after they noticed that foul smell was emanating from a flat on the second floor of an apartment on Ram Dulal Sakar Street.
- 61 days ago 24 Nov 20, 3:25pm -
- Discontentment brewing in Trinamool camp ahead of 2021 Bengal polls
As state minister Suvendu Adhikari, along with other functionaries, openly air grievances against the Mamata Banerjee-led dispensation, senior leaders are frantically looking for answers.
- 62 days ago 23 Nov 20, 12:03pm -
- Fire breaks out at two-storey building in Kolkata, one dies
Four fire tenders were pressed into service to douse to the flames -- spotted around 4.40 am -- the sources said.
- 73 days ago 12 Nov 20, 1:27pm -
- Social distancing? COVID-19 norms go for a toss as commuters cram local trains in Bengal
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had also urged railway authorities on Wednesday to run more trains to ensure that people do not jostle to board the rakes.
- 73 days ago 12 Nov 20, 12:34pm -
- COVID-19: With new rules, local train services resume in Bengal after over seven months
The local train services under the jurisdiction of the Eastern and the South Eastern Railways resumed early in the morning.
- 74 days ago 11 Nov 20, 11:50am -
- Calcutta HC imposes curbs on Chhath puja, asks state to strictly enforce ban on crackers
A division bench comprising justices Sanjib Banerjee and Arijit Banerjee directed the state to ensure that the prohibitory orders are followed everywhere.
- 74 days ago 11 Nov 20, 10:58am -
- Kolkata Police books activist Madhu Purnima Kishwar for misinformation over Islamic rally in Bangladesh
A senior officer of the Kolkata Police said that the song in the video clearly refers to Bangladesh.
- 75 days ago 10 Nov 20, 9:43am -
- Apprehension of COVID protocol violation as local train services set to resume in Bengal
The Eastern Railway and the South Eastern Railway will together run 696 local trains daily in strict adherence to social distancing and other safety norms.
- 76 days ago 9 Nov 20, 2:03pm -
- Bengal police, administration must be politically neutral: Governor attacks Mamata government again
Dhankhar, who is currently in Darjeeling, said in a series of tweets that his alerts to #39;politically motivated public servants #39; have been partially impactful as some are still in defiance.
- 76 days ago 9 Nov 20, 1:51pm -
- COVID-19 fallout: Bengal Kali Puja committees to shun pomp and glitz this year
Several renowned pujas in Kolkata and neighbouring Barasat town in North 24 Parganas district have decided to do away with illumination and reduce the height of the idols.
- 76 days ago 9 Nov 20, 9:40am -
- New task for Bengal BJP: Shah sets target of 200 seats for 2021 polls
Shah, who visited Bankura during the day to take stock of the party organisation, asked BJP functionaries to take a vow to work hard so that acheives the target, the sources said.
- 79 days ago 6 Nov 20, 2:01am -
- Marginal improvement in Soumitra Chatterjee's health condition: Doctors
quot;Some progress quot; with regard to Chatterjees neurological conditions has been made, the doctor said, adding that the 85-year old is again quot;giving responses though most of them are reflexes. quot;
- 80 days ago 6 Nov 20, 12:05am -
- COVID-19: Suburban train services to resume in Bengal from November 11
The services in Eastern Railway #39;s Sealdah and Howrah divisions and South Eastern Railways Howrah-Kharagpur division to be run from November 11 will be demand based, officials said.
- 80 days ago 5 Nov 20, 11:02pm -
- CBI searches multiple locations in Kolkata in cattle smuggling case
A CBI spokesperson said said that raids were also conducted at the office premises and residences of two chartered accountants in the city.
- 80 days ago 5 Nov 20, 1:05pm -
- Amit Shah meets family members of Bengal BJP worker killed in judicial custody
Accompanied by state BJP president Dilip Ghosh and senior BJP leaders, the family members of Ghorai met Shah at the Kolkata airport.
- 81 days ago 5 Nov 20, 12:00am -
- COVID-19: Iconic actor Soumitra Chatterjee critical but stable
Chattrejee #39;s neurological condition also remained the same and he was not administered dialysis as his urea and creatinine levels have come down.
- 81 days ago 4 Nov 20, 11:27pm -
- Kolkata hospital waiting for DGCI nod to begin Phase-II trial of Russia's COVID-19 vaccine
The necessary surveys -- which include visiting the hospital to check its infrastructure and cold storage facilities -- have been carried out by a site management organisation.
- 81 days ago 4 Nov 20, 1:53am -
- Calcutta High Court orders second autopsy on body of 'BJP worker' by Thursday
The bench directed that the postmortem examination report be submitted before it on November 10.
- 82 days ago 4 Nov 20, 12:17am -
- Eye on Bengal polls, Amit Shah on two-day visit to state from Thursday
The home minister #39;s visit assumes significance with West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar criticising the quot;worsening quot; law and order situation in the state.
- 82 days ago 3 Nov 20, 10:33pm -
- Mamata government writes to Railways, seeks running of sufficient number of suburban trains
The state government in a communication to the railway authorities again assured of providing all forms of necessary support in this regard, a senior official said on Tuesday.
- 82 days ago 3 Nov 20, 9:59pm -
- Suicide attempt affects Kolkata Metro Rail services
During the rescue operation, the authorities ran truncated services in both up and down directions from Maidan to Kavi Subhash stations
- 82 days ago 3 Nov 20, 5:51pm -
- Soumitra Chatterjee continues to be critical, kept on on ventilator support
Chatterjee #39;s cardiovascular conditions and heart rate are stable though his unconsciousness remained to be a challenge for the doctors.
- 83 days ago 3 Nov 20, 1:23am -
- Local train services in Bengal: Railways plan to start with 50 per cent of passenger strength
Commuters squatted on railway tracks in at least three stations in Hooghly district on Monday demanding they be allowed to board staff special trains, police said.
- 83 days ago 3 Nov 20, 12:55am -
- Two killed as bus stand roof collapses in Kolkata's Manicktala
The concrete roof of the bus stand collapsed, injuring four persons waiting at a tea stall under the shed, police said.
- 83 days ago 2 Nov 20, 5:19pm -
- Will not seek re-election in 2021 Bengal polls: Trinamool MLA
Silbhadra Dutta told reporters at his office in Barrackpore that he has not taken a decision to join any other political party and may continue as an ordinary worker of the TMC.
- 84 days ago 2 Nov 20, 1:26am -