- Fake vaccination camps: Calcutta HC refuses to interfere in probe for now
The court said it is not inclined to interfere in the investigation of the case at this stage.
- 19 days ago 9 Jul 21, 5:18pm -
- Enforcement Directorate to probe fake COVID vaccination camps in Kolkata
The matter is at present being probed by he Kolkata Police #39;s Detective Department, which has already arrested nine persons, including a fake IAS officer.
- 19 days ago 9 Jul 21, 3:10pm -
- Fake vaccine racket: BJP workers clash with police during march to Kolkata municipal corporation
Several senior BJP leaders and workers were detained by the police during their march towards the KMC office.
- 23 days ago 5 Jul 21, 3:21pm -
- One more arrested in vaccination scam in Kolkata; samples of fluids in vials sent for examination
Officials informed during the day about arrest of another associate of Deb, who was apprehended for allegedly masterminding fake vaccination camps in the metropolis.
- 24 days ago 4 Jul 21, 12:11am -
- 'No sale' protest by Kolkata petrol pumps on July 7 over jump in prices
The sharp spike in the prices has also led to a massive drop in the sale of fuel in the state, West Bengal Petroleum Dealers #39; Association joint secretary Prasenjit Sen said.
- 25 days ago 3 Jul 21, 8:13pm -
- Kolkata: 19 held for duping foreigners via fake call centers
During a raid conducted late Thursday night, the police arrested these people who were working in different illegal call centres in the satellite township of Salt Lake, he said.
- 25 days ago 3 Jul 21, 12:42am -
- Cop killed, several injured after bus hits Fort William wall in Kolkata
Vivekananda Dab, who was employed with the Kolkata Police Reserve Force, was declared #39;brought dead #39; by doctors at the nearby SSKM hospital.
- 27 days ago 1 Jul 21, 3:04pm -
- Fake COVID vaccine camps: HC directs West Bengal government to file report on probe progress
Hundreds of people, including Trinamool Congress MP Mimi Chakraborty, were injected with alleged fake vaccines at such a camp organised by Deb at Kasba area in south Kolkata.
- 28 days ago 30 Jun 21, 5:23pm -
- Vaccine scam accused fake IAS officer quizzed in 2020 over job cheating complaint: Police
Deb even conducted a raid as an quot;IAS officer quot; and the report of it with his photo was published in a newspaper, the official said.
- 29 days ago 29 Jun 21, 12:55am -
- Kolkata vaccine scam: Accused told police he wrote to Serum Institute for Covishield
Deb, who had impersonated as a joint commissioner of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, also insisted that he had set up two fake camps in the city, and not multiple ones.
- 30 days ago 27 Jun 21, 11:15pm -
- Three more arrested by Kolkata Police in dubious COVID vaccine camps case
Two of the associates were signatories of the bank account that was created in the name of Kolkata Municipal Corporation by the accused.
- 32 days ago 26 Jun 21, 10:55am -
- Kolkata vaccination scam: Medicines found in office of fake officer who held camps
It was also revealed during investigation that the arrested man opened several bank accounts in the names of senior Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) officials using fake documents.
- 33 days ago 24 Jun 21, 11:34pm -
- Heavy rain batters West Bengal, leaves arterial roads and low-lying areas waterlogged
The southern parts of the city received more rainfall than the north, leaving streets and alleys waterlogged in Ballygunge Circular Road, Loudon Street and Southern Avenue.
- 41 days ago 17 Jun 21, 2:03pm -
- Fire at TMC MLA Madan Mitra's residence in Kolkata
TMC MLA Madan Mitra along with his family members rushed out of the house as soon as the fire was spotted in a room on the ground floor.
- 50 days ago 8 Jun 21, 12:04pm -
- Dearth of judges at Calcutta HC affecting justice delivery: West Bengal bar council vice-chairman
According to the National Judicial Data Grid, a total of 2,72,092 cases are pending before the Calcutta High Court, which has a sanctioned strength of 72 judges.
- 51 days ago 7 Jun 21, 4:17pm -
- COVID-19: Kolkata gets vaccine bus that will travel to markets to inoculate priority groups
The #39;vaccination on wheels #39; initiative was launched by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation on Thursday in cooperation with the Health and Transport departments of the West Bengal government.
- 55 days ago 3 Jun 21, 3:28pm -
- 'Piya ka des': 165 years on, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah's legacy lives on in Kolkata
The nawab, who was deposed by the British, came to plead his case with Governor General Lord Charles Canning, only to be imprisoned at Fort William.
- 66 days ago 23 May 21, 7:19pm -
- Narada sting case: Trinamool Congress workers protest in Kolkata after arrest of ministers, MLA
A large posse of CRPF personnel barricaded the central government office complex in Nizam Palace, where the CBI office is located.
- 72 days ago 17 May 21, 4:36pm -
- Railways completes tunnelling work in East-West Kolkata Metro Corridor
Earlier in the day, Union Minister for Railways Piyush Goyal tweeted about the achievement of the Railways and said that the extension will reduce the travel time of passengers.
- 73 days ago 16 May 21, 5:08pm -
- Kolkata Durga idol makers anxious about business in second Covid-hit year
Kumartuli supplies idols of gods and goddesses to various parts of the country and abroad and the artisans earn the most during the Durga Puja, the largest festival of West Bengal.
- 78 days ago 11 May 21, 9:51am -
- Trinamool retained all Kolkata seats on back of populist schemes, worsening COVID situation
The overwhleming support for TMC was seen in Jorasanko, Bhabanipur and Kolkata Port constituencies of the city despite their sizeable mixed populations.
- 79 days ago 10 May 21, 12:34pm -
- COVID-19 curbs: Museums, planetarium, zoos, national parks closed in Bengal
The Alipore Zoological Gardens in the city had recorded 400 visitors on an average in April and only 150 people on April 30 before closing down indefinitely from May 1.
- 85 days ago 4 May 21, 6:58pm -
- 75-year-old COVID-19 patient found hanging in Kolkata hospital toilet
The deceased, identified as Kalachand Das, was admitted to the facility on Sunday night after testing positive for coronavirus, a police officer said.
- 92 days ago 26 Apr 21, 9:18pm -
- COVID-19: Calcutta University to vaccinate all employees above 45 years
The VC said the vaccination drive will be funded by the state-run university and will be carried out in two campuses.
- 95 days ago 24 Apr 21, 11:57am -
- 11 injured in blast at 'illegal' factory near Kolkata
Eleven persons were injured in a blast at a factory in West Bengal #39;s South 24 Parganas district on Saturday morning.
- 95 days ago 24 Apr 21, 11:22am -
- Bengal polls: Calcutta HC expresses dissatisfaction with EC on implementation of Covid norms
The high court directed the ECI to file an affidavit by Friday listing the steps it has taken and its views on the issues raised by it.
- 97 days ago 22 Apr 21, 5:53pm -
- West Bengal polls: TMC's Firhad Hakim heard verbally abusing CISF, BJP in purported video
Hakim -- during a roadshow in the south-western part of Kolkata - allegedly threatened to take action against the saffron party and the CISF, once the assembly polls get over.
- 98 days ago 20 Apr 21, 10:40pm -
- Trinamool Congress to hold small election meetings in Kolkata amid rise in COVID cases
Speaking to a TV channel, Banerjee said that she would shorten her speeches at campaign in different parts of the state to around 20 minutes or so from the usual time of 50 minutes to one hour.
- 19 Apr 21, 1:04am -
- Flying to Kolkata? Carry COVID negative report if you're arriving from one of these states
The move comes a day after Kolkata reported record one-day spike of 1,271 infections on Tuesday.
- 14 Apr 21, 6:21pm -
- Election rallies deterioting Bengal's COVID situation? Kolkata hospitals stare at bed crisis
In state-run Infectious Diseases and Beliaghata General (ID amp;BG) Hospital, all beds at the high-dependency units and general wards are full.
- 13 Apr 21, 9:52am -
- Bengal polls: BJP leader Mithun Chakraborty denied roadshow in Kolkata's Behala, workers hold protest
BJP leader and Bollywood superstar Mithun Chakraborty, however, led a roadshow in Tollygunj constituency for Union minister Babul Supriyo.
- 8 Apr 21, 5:45pm -
- Bengal polls: EC removes returning officers of eight Kolkata constituencies ahead of final two phases
New officials have already been appointed in the Chowringhee, Entally, Bhowanipur, Beliaghata, Jorasanko, Shyampukur, Kashipur-Belgachia and Kolkata Port assembly segments.
- 7 Apr 21, 12:45pm -
- Kolkata police sub-inspector injured in firing from his service revolver
An investigation is underway and CCTV footage is being scrutinised to find out whether the bullet was misfired or he tried to kill himself.
- 3 Apr 21, 11:13am -
- Fire breaks out at shoe manufacturing unit in Kolkata
While the cause of the blaze is yet to be ascertained, the fire brigade official said that there was no report of casualty or anyone being trapped inside the factory.
- 3 Apr 21, 10:59am -
- Kolkata diary: All that has been happening in the 'City of Joy'
Various officials of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) have been empowered to issue resident proof, income and other certificates in the absence of ward coordinators.
- 28 Mar 21, 8:36am -
- Three Kolkata schools shut as students, teacher found COVID-positive
La Martiniere for Boys and The Frank Anthony Public School shut down their campuses till March 27 and March 29, respectively.
- 24 Mar 21, 5:30pm -
- IAS Khalil Ahmed appointed administrator of Kolkata Municipal Corporation
Ahmed, who is the principal secretary in the Urban Development and Municipal Affairs Department, will remain in the post till the new Board of Councillors of the civic body takes charge.
- 23 Mar 21, 1:04am -
- After dinner with father, Kolkata woman sets him on fire
The woman went out with her father for dinner to a restaurant on Sunday night and got him drunk, then they went to the Chadpal Ghat on Strand Road for a stroll, a senior police officer said.
- 22 Mar 21, 10:50pm -
- West Bengal polls 2021: Left holds mega roadshow with candidates in Kolkata
The Left Front held a mega roadshow in south Kolkata with the candidates of five constituencies for the West Bengal Assembly polls as they headed to file their nominations on Saturday.
- 21 Mar 21, 10:10am -
- IndiGo hands over passenger to security agencies at Kolkata airport for not wearing mask on flight
Earlier this week, AirAsia India offloaded two passengers from its Goa-Mumbai flight and IndiGo handed over two flyers to security officials for not following the COVID-19 rules.
- 20 Mar 21, 9:39pm -
- Illegal coal mining case: CBI summons two former civil services officers
The probe agency has also summoned businessman Amit Agarwal, a close aide of the SCAM kingpin Anup Majhi, alias Lala.
- 19 Mar 21, 6:44pm -
- Man seriously injured by lion at Alipore Zoo in Kolkata
The unidentified man is undergoing treatment at the SSKM Hospital and his condition is quot;critical quot;, hospital sources said.
- 19 Mar 21, 3:26pm -
- Death of two persons in Kolkata not due to water contamination: Minister
The KMC has conducted tests of water samples collected from the Bhawanipore area in ward number 73.
- 18 Mar 21, 11:39am -
- After spending 40 years in jail as undertrial, Nepali man released by high court
Dipak Jaishi, who is now 70, has been languishing in Dum Dum Central Correctional Home since his arrest in Darjeeling district of West Bengal for the alleged murder of a man there in 1981.
- 17 Mar 21, 10:25pm -
- Drug seizure case: Kolkata Police seeks info about arrested BJP leader's guards from CISF
Guards provided by CISF accompanied Rakesh Singh during his travels and they could provide valuable inputs to investigators about the places he used to visit, the official of Kolkata Police said.
- 17 Mar 21, 9:54am -
- One more death due to contaminated drinking water in Kolkata, 15 in hospital
The incident happed in ward number 73, which is also the neighborhood of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- 16 Mar 21, 4:12pm -
- One dead, 10 sick after drinking contaminated water in Kolkata
Chairman of the KMC board of directors Firhad Hakim has sought a report from the departments concerned in this regard.
- 15 Mar 21, 10:36pm -
- Drug case involving BJP leaders: Two more held in Kolkata, 10 arrested so far
Around 10 gm of cocaine was seized from the possession of one person who was picked up from Entally, and another was arrested from the KIT building in the Poddar Court area on Tuesday night.
- 10 Mar 21, 12:10pm -
- Kolkata fire: Amid political slugfest, victims' families numb with grief
Preliminary findings suggested that the blaze was caused by an electrical short-circuit on the 13th floor of the New Koilaghat Building, owned by Eastern Railway (ER).
- 10 Mar 21, 9:25am -
- Kolkata fire: Seven died of burns, two due to suffocation
Meanwhile, the detective department of the Kolkata Police on Tuesday initiated its probe into the case, and a special investigation team has been formed for the purpose.
- 9 Mar 21, 9:37pm -