- Commissioners of city MC reshuffled
Zonal commissioners of Ludhiana MC were reshuffled on Wednesday.
- 9 Jan 14, 12:33am -
- ASI suspended for involvement in flesh trade racket
Police sources said, during raid at the spot, the ASI pressurized them to bury and settle the matter.
- 9 Jan 14, 12:27am -
- Lohri mela dedicated to acid victim
Two-day event will comprise seminars on female foeticide, need for moral education for children etc.
- 9 Jan 14, 12:14am -
- MC employees don''t work till not rapped, says Mayor
Sandhu migrated to Canada 34 years ago from Jalandhar, became a Canadian MP in 2011.
- 9 Jan 14, 12:12am -
- PAU elections: Campaigning ends; pending arrears, salary on time major poll plans
As many as 1,384 employees will vote for 15 posts of PAU Employees Union on Jan 10.
- 9 Jan 14, 12:07am -
- Gang of burglars busted, 3 arrested
The accused were travelling in a three-wheeler they had stolen a few days ago.
- 8 Jan 14, 4:48am -
- Commission agent commits suicide, blames business partner and his son
Rajan Khera, son of the deceased, said that his father left the house in the morning for office.
- 8 Jan 14, 4:39am -
- DC inaugurates first state-run de-addiction centre
Until now, all such centres were privately run.
- 8 Jan 14, 4:37am -
- PAU gets ready for National Youth Fest; top hotels booked for VIPs
However, there is no confirmation of Vice-President Hamid Ansari's visit.
- 8 Jan 14, 4:34am -
- Chinese kite string menace continues, 35 birds hurt, 5 dead
Despite the ban imposed on the Chinese plastic kite string by the Deputy Commissioner and raids conducted on various kite shops, the string is easily available at the market.
- 7 Jan 14, 4:57am -
- As employee elections near, students question ban on PAUSA polls
Social networking sites like Facebook are being used to show support for student leaders by PAU students
- 7 Jan 14, 4:55am -
- Student injured after falling from platform while boarding train
A student of Government College for Girls on Sunday fell form the platform while she was trying to board the Amritsar-New Delhi Shatabadi Express.
- 6 Jan 14, 3:54am -
- Punjab''s largest anti-drugs drive to start in Mullanpur today
In what can be termed as the first-ever large scale anti-drugs drive in Punjab, initiatives are being undertaken to make 'Punjabiyon Jaago, Nashe Tyaago'' a success, which will begin in Mullanpur on Monday.
- 6 Jan 14, 3:52am -
- Female foetus found on Noorwala road
The dogs were tearing away the foetus when some residents saw it, an eyewitness said.
- 6 Jan 14, 3:48am -
- Star cast of Patiala Dreamz in the city
The star cast of movie Patiala Dreamz reached the city on Saturday along with its 24-year-old director of the film Abhishek Saxena.
- 5 Jan 14, 5:34am -
- Nepalese couple found dead in Sarabha Nagar
A Nepalese couple working as domestic helps died at a residence in Sarabha Nagar due to asphyxia.
- 5 Jan 14, 5:32am -
- 2 brothers, mother held for stealing 8 tons of sandalwood
Eight tons of sandalwood was stolen by two brothers from a container which was going from New Delhi to Ludhiana.
- 5 Jan 14, 5:30am -
- 16-yr-old rejects marriage proposal, boy pours kerosene oil on her
The girl suffered 25% burns after the accused poured kerosene oil on her and tried to burn her.
- 5 Jan 14, 5:26am -
- Maximum complaints pour in against cops at police 'khula darbaar''
A 'KHULA Darbaar'' or complaint redressal camp organised by Ludhiana police on Friday proved to be a trap for the police itself.
- 4 Jan 14, 4:34am -
- BSNL employee ends life, cop found dead
Missing for two days, his body was recovered from Sidhwan Canal Issewal Bridge.
- 4 Jan 14, 4:31am -
- Ferozepur road parking: 3-member panel formed to re-auction all lots
Ludhiana Municipal Corporation is all set to re-auction all the 13 parking lots.
- 4 Jan 14, 4:29am -
- 39-yr-old woman shot, neighbour arrested
Reportedly, the accused had also beaten Sonia''s son to which she had objected.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:48am -
- Labourer''s murder case solved, 2 held
Police arrested two accused, Prem Lal and his accomplice Ramjit, who have confessed to their crime.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:35am -
- Fire on Rahon road, complex gutted
Incident happened around 9.35 pm on Wednesday and it took five hours to douse the flames.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:31am -
- Tewari to head LIT, GLADA as well
IAS R K Verma and IAS S S Gulati have been relieved from both the posts respectively.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:20am -
- Newborn girl thrown in hospital commode
Dr Pooja Juneja, who is treating the abandoned girl, said the child was three to four hours old and was out of danger.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:16am -
- PAU employees'' union polls: Four groups to fight it out on Jan 10
Walia is contesting for the president''s post for the first time and is ex-senior vice-president.
- 3 Jan 14, 3:08am -
- Wish you get minimum info on police this year: Top cop to media
As he made mediapersons laugh, he even invited them to share their hidden talents apart from just reporting news.
- 2 Jan 14, 12:53am -
- On first day of new year, Mayor late for 2 hours at MC event
The Ludhiana MC from Wednesday started online payment system for its contractors and other dealers.
- 2 Jan 14, 12:50am -
- 10 criminals from two gangs held, all drug addicts
All the arrested persons are drug addicts.
- 2 Jan 14, 12:47am -
- City welcomes new year, revellers mostly peaceful
Minor cases of hooliganism were reported on the roads but the police were able to tackle them and no case was registered.
- 2 Jan 14, 12:45am -
- Some chose to party, some prayed to welcome 2014
For those willing to party, and spend, clubs and hotels left no stone unturned to attract as many as they could.
- 1 Jan 14, 10:56pm -
- Report Card 2013......
Earlier seen mostly on weekends, these days Tewari is also seen in urban as well as rural areas on weekdays.
- 1 Jan 14, 10:53pm -
- 'Child labour biggest hindrance to RTE Act enforcement''
The teachers at times even go to the houses of these students to convince their parents.
- 31 Dec 13, 5:19am -
- Special police-public meets held to clear backlog of complaints
The complaints which were settled on Monday were mostly related to matrimonial disputes, petty theft cases, fight among neighbourers etc.
- 31 Dec 13, 5:17am -
- CIPHET celebrates 24th foundation day
The Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET), Ludhiana, celebrated its 24th foundation day on Monday.
- 31 Dec 13, 5:13am -
- Campaigning begins for PAU employees'' union polls
Campaigning is in full swing at Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) for various posts in the employees'' union.
- 31 Dec 13, 5:11am -
- MC team demolishes encroachment near Omaxe Plaza
Kalia also got one illegal encroachment demolished near Omaxe Plaza which had come up in place of the greenbelt area.
- 30 Dec 13, 4:49am -
- 13 outer nakas, 30 nakas in inner city on New Year eve
In view of the New Year celebrations, Police Commissioner Nirmal Singh Dhillon has divided the city into 12 sectors.
- 30 Dec 13, 4:47am -
- BJP state president, local bodies minister meet industrialists
Bharatiya Janata Party state president Kamal Sharma and Local Bodies Minister Anil Joshi on Saturday evening met industrialists.
- 30 Dec 13, 4:45am -
- Panchayats to soon get WiFi connectivity, says Tewari
About a thousand gram panchayats in Ludhiana district will soon be getting WiFi connectivity under the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited''s national optical fibre network programme.
- 30 Dec 13, 4:43am -
- PAU associate prof dies as his car falls into canal
An associate professor of PAU died after his car fell into Sidhwan canal along southern bypass on Sunday evening.
- 30 Dec 13, 4:42am -
- Punjab PCC: New list of office bearers leaves many unhappy
Many are complaining that they were ignored, many others are planning to give up their membership in the coming days.
- 29 Dec 13, 2:03am -
- IDPD organises seminar on health studies
Addressing a seminar organised by the NSS at SCD Government College, Dr Arun Mitra, general secretary, Indian Doctors for Peace and Development (IDPD), said that despite the recommendations of the Planning Commission to allocate 5 per cent of the budget towards health, the Government of India allocated only 1.9 per cent towards it.
- 29 Dec 13, 1:59am -
- PPCB chairman conducts surprise check on CETPs
The CETPs are being constructed by the dyeing associations to control pollution.
- 28 Dec 13, 12:45am -
- Give affidavit against corrupt officers, says health minister
The health minister himself faced a protest from ASHA workers who were led by union leader Tarsem Jodhan.
- 28 Dec 13, 12:43am -
- Protests erupt, people demand justice for acid attack victim
Apart from capital punishment for all the accused, the protesters also demanded an attitudinal change.
- 28 Dec 13, 12:41am -
- Major revamp likely in UT Administration next year
The coming year would witness a complete revamp of the UT Administration with most of the top brass set to complete their terms.
- 27 Dec 13, 12:13am -
- Rs 2,000-cr bogus bill scam: Industrialists deny charges
They said that the complainants themselves were tax evaders and were defaming them.
- 27 Dec 13, 12:11am -
- City-based dentist judged 'outstanding dentist of the year''
There were nine finalists (shortlisted from over 500 dentists from all over India) in the category of 'outstanding dentist of the year award''
- 27 Dec 13, 12:09am -
- Traffic congestion a serious issue in city, says Police Commissioner
Traffic congestion seems to be the top priority of Ludhiana Police Commissioner Nirmal Singh Dhillon.
- 27 Dec 13, 12:07am -
- Suvidha centre employees call off week-long strike
Suvidha centres are a one-stop shop for getting works done related to various government departments to facilitate common man.
- 26 Dec 13, 5:32am -
- Auto parts'' association thanks govt for revised VAT
The Auto Parts Manufacturers Association (India) on Wednesday thanked the government of Punjab for the recently announced proposal for the reduction in the Value-added Tax (VAT) on iron and steel items.
- 26 Dec 13, 12:20am -
- Death anniv of Giani Zail Singh observed
Desh Bhagat Yaadgari Society, Punjab, organised a function on Gill Road here to observed the death anniversary of late president Giani Zail Singh on Wednesday.
- 26 Dec 13, 12:18am -
- 117-yr-old church kept locked on Christmas
Tussle between two groups for management.
- 26 Dec 13, 12:16am -
- Two bank officers caught red-handed while taking bribe
Two officers of Oriental Bank of Commerce were caught red-handed accepting a bribe of Rs 20,000.
- 25 Dec 13, 3:56am -
- Showroom burgled, owner claims loss of Rs 12 lakh
An electronic showroom, Bama Infotech, in Kitchlu Nagar was looted on Monday night and thieves fled with laptops, mobile phones and other accessories.
- 25 Dec 13, 3:55am -
- Christmas spirit grips schools in the city
Children from schools all over the city celebrated Christmas on Tuesday.
- 25 Dec 13, 3:54am -
- Old students share memories at BCM alumni meet
About 300 families had come to attend the alumni meet on the campus of BCM Shastri Nagar School.
- 24 Dec 13, 5:32am -
- When old boys of PAU met and Faisalabad varsity dean savoured sarson ka saag
Emotions ran high during the 51st alumni meet of College of Agriculture.
- 24 Dec 13, 5:28am -
- Realtors hopeful, say slump in real estate market will end soon
At the exhibition, top investors, most of the NRIs, were honoured.
- 24 Dec 13, 5:24am -
- Flesh trade racket busted, 11 held
The CIA-1 staff on Saturday evening busted a flesh trade racket on Gill road and arrested 11 people.
- 23 Dec 13, 5:52am -
- Wanted to be a doc, became a politician, says Badal
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday said "he wanted to be a doctor but ended up in politics".
- 23 Dec 13, 5:50am -
- Two arrested for possessing heroin
Kiran Pal Singh, 20, was arrested from Hoshiarpur on Friday and 250 gm heroin was recovered from him. Police arrested the accused following a tip-off.
- 22 Dec 13, 5:43am -
- Stones pelted at MC officials during encroachment drive
The stone pelting also injured ASI Sukhminder Singh and Randhir Singh, a sewadar of Ludhiana MC.
- 22 Dec 13, 5:41am -