- newSerum gets DCGI nod for Phase 2 & 3 trials
India’s apex drug regulator has allowed Pune-based Serum Institute of India to conduct late-stage — Phase 2 and 3 — human trials in India for the Oxford University Covid-19 vaccine candidate.
- 5 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 1:36pm -
- newRapid tests now nearly half of daily checks
The total number of Covid-19 tests carried out in India crossed the 2-crore mark on Sunday, powered by a rising proportion (over 45%) of the faster and cheaper rapid antigen tests (RAT) in its daily volume of testing.
- 5 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 1:29pm -
- newIndia’s Covid count on Sunday highest in world
For the first time, India added the highest number of fresh Covid-19 cases among all countries on Sunday. India’s count of 53,641 cases on the day was higher than the infections detected in the US (49,038) and Brazil (24,801), the two countries that have the highest caseloads of the virus, according to data from worldometers.info.
- 5 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 1:26pm -
- newUAE proud of its relationship with India: ECB
As the governing council of the league got into a phone call on Sunday to discuss the shifting of the 2020 edition, Khalid Al Zarooni, the vice-chairman of the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) told TOI: "The IPL aside, our relationship with the Indian government, the Indian public and Indian trade is also an important aspect of our history, one that we are extremely proud of. Such support between our countries can only benefit our relationships in the future".
- 5 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 1:22pm -
- newBaidu, Weibo banned, to go off app stores
Baidu Search and Weibo, among the most influential apps of China and dubbed as the country’s answer to Google search and Twitter respectively, have been blocked in India.
- 3 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 11:27am -
- newArctic tents being set up in Ladakh
India is looking to restart the stalled troop disengagement process in eastern Ladakh with China, but is clearly taking no chances by also constructing insulated shelters and procuring foreign and domestic specialised clothing and gear for its soldiers for the long winter deployment ahead.
- 2 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 10:36am -
- newLive: Tripura CM undergoes test after kin test +ve
The total coronavirus cases in India have surged to 18,03,695, while the death toll has climbed to 38,135 with 771 people succumbing to the disease in the last 24 hours, as per the data released by the Health ministry. Worldwide, the pandemic has now taken nearly 7 lakh lives, with 18 million confirmed cases. Stay with TOI for all the live updates
- 1 hour ago 4 Aug 20, 9:32am -
- newRam’s will that I attend bhoomi pujan: Ansari
Iqbal Ansari, one of the seven litigants from the Muslim side in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title suit, has been invited for the ‘bhoomi pujan’ for the Ram temple at Ayodhya which would be performed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday.
- 1 hour ago 4 Aug 20, 9:22am -
- newTata to drive in foreign partner in vehicle biz
Tata Motors, the flagship of the Tata Group, is in talks with multiple automakers, including European and East Asian players, to sell up to a 49% stake in its India passenger vehicle business, which accounted for 4% (Rs 10,297 crore) of its turnover in fiscal 2020.
- 23 mins ago 4 Aug 20, 8:33am -
- new'Forensic auditor will examine Sushant’s a/cs'
The Mumbai police will seek the help of a forensic auditor to examine the financial transactions of actor Sushant Singh Rajput (34) who was found dead in his Bandra flat on June 14. Police commissioner Param Bir Singh told TOI, “We will appoint a forensic auditor to verify all transactions from Sushant’s account. As of now, the probe does not indicate any fraudulent transfer to Rhea or her family members.”
- 5 mins ago 4 Aug 20, 8:15am -
- newCJI not same as SC, says defiant Bhushan
Standing firm on his two tweets criticising the CJI and his four predecessors which led to initiation of contempt proceedings against him, activist lawyer Prashant Bhushan defiantly detailed why he believes the Supreme Court has capitulated before the excesses of a majoritarian government in the last six years.
- 41 mins ago 4 Aug 20, 7:29am -
- newIn Goa, it’s not just sailors who’ve changed course
- 2 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 6:30am -
- newWill ban TikTok on Sept 15 unless an American company buys it: Trump
US President Donald Trump on Monday said the popular Chinese app, TikTok, would be banned in the country beginning September 15, unless it is bought by an American company and asserted that a substantial amount of the buyout deal should go to the treasury.
- 2 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 5:52am -
- newOn anniv of Art 370 repeal, curfew in Srinagar
The Jammu and Kashmir administration announced a two-day curfew — on August 4 and 5 — in Srinagar as a precautionary measure against possible unrest on Wednesday, the first anniversary of the nullification of Articles 370 and 35A by the Centre.
- 3 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 5:13am -
- newDraft policy seeks self-reliance in def prodn
Languishing in the strategically-vulnerable position of being among the top three arms importers in the world for years, India now wants to build a major defence industrial base (DIB) for self-reliance in weapon systems and exports to other countries within the next five years.
- 4 hours ago 4 Aug 20, 3:52am -